in Emergency Management and Business Continuity
Emergency Management and Business Continuity Professionals plan for, respond, and work to manage natural, technological and human-caused disasters. Acquire the knowledge, skills, and practical hands-on training to promote resilience and ensure enterprises and communities continue to function, recover and thrive.
This new program is the only one of its kind in Ontario. Our unique three-semester Emergency Management and Business Continuity program is ideally suited for working professionals and those who are interested in pursuing a new career in this dynamic and growing field. The program’s flexible delivery model, online and on-campus delivery, means you can continue to work while pursuing advanced training. You’ll attend in-class intensive weekend sessions three times each semester, while the balance of course work is completed online. You will also put your skills to the test in a culminating applied project where you will develop and facilitate an emergency response or business continuity plan for a public or private organization.
Emergency Management and Business Continuity professionals are trained to prepare for loss of critical business functions. This can result from cyber-attack, data breaches, supply chain disruption, security incidents or natural disasters such as wildfires, flooding, pandemics, hazardous chemical spills, and other disasters that endanger the health, survivability of public and private organizations.
This program provides you with an historical context while instilling a solid understanding of governance, legislation and best practices. You will acquire the essential tools to prepare entities for the realities of business disruption and threats to community safety; along with plans for a smooth and timely recovery of affected services.
Our highly qualified faculty, a network of working professionals, and industry experience will provide you with the specialized training and support to be successful in the changing landscape of Emergency Management and Business Continuity. Graduate in under one year with the hands-on skills and certifications to advance your career or stand out in today’s competitive job market.
Entry-level Business Continuity Analysts’ salaries typically start around $60k; with experience and additional certifications, professionals working in the industry command six-figure salaries.
WHY CHOOSE FLEMING?
- Faculty members are experts in the field, bringing leading strategies and concepts to the classroom, and helping students to excel within the industry, whether they are new to Emergency Management and Business Continuity, or career professionals who are expanding their skills and abilities
- Unique emphasis on the Business Continuity aspect of training to prepare you for employment in this specific sector of the industry. Employers in diverse sectors are seeking graduates who have emergency management and business continuity knowledge/certification
- Practical, hands-on learning—students apply the knowledge acquired both in-class and in real-world applied settings
- Work with clients from municipalities, private sector industries, or non-government agencies on a complex, multi-faceted project to deliver an integrated emergency management and business continuity response plan
- Flexible delivery means you can continue to work while you acquire training to advance or launch your new career
Acquire Industry Certifications
- You will have the opportunity to complete certifications offered by the Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management (OFMEM) related to incident management, emergency management, and the operations of an emergency operations centre
- Throughout the program, you will be exposed to knowledge and skills that will prepare you to pursue further industry certifications available in business continuity
Emergency Management and Business Continuity professionals are in high demand in a wide variety of sectors: finance and insurance, utilities, healthcare, oil and gas, telecommunications, large-scale manufacturing, facilities management, service businesses, education, and all levels of government.
Increasingly, career professionals are requiring the addition of emergency management and business continuity to their existing portfolios.
Is this You?
Successful graduates of our Emergency Management program come from a variety of backgrounds, including:
- Working professionals from a range of industries (business, healthcare, social services, government agencies, emergency response, NGOs, etc.) who are being asked to add Business Continuity or Emergency Management to their career portfolios
- College program graduates from Police Foundations, Protection, Security and Investigation, Business, Health, Social Services, Environmental Sciences
- University graduates from Liberal Arts, Business, Justice Studies, Health, Environmental Sciences, etc.
If you are changing careers, employment experience in one of the following fields will also be beneficial:
- Public sector employees
- Police officer, firefighter, paramedics, first responders or volunteers
- Occupational health and safety professionals
- Security and risk management specialists
- Members of the Canadian Forces
- Business and project management specialists
"It was great to be a part of the Emergency Management class at Fleming and I truly learned a lot from the program. I have also learned from my experiences at various emergency management volunteer opportunities that the Fleming program does provide a lot more certifications and client based experience than other EM programs. I have been able to secure a dream job with Husky Energy as a business continuity planner. Part of my role will be assessing their 72 different business continuity plans and putting new initiatives into place."
Julie St. Louis,
Business Continuity Planner
The Fleming College Emergency Management program created a solid foundation for me to begin my new career. The hands-on approach and structured learning allowed me to gain knowledge and experience in many different components of this multi-faceted field. Opportunities ranged from developing exercises, to testing municipalities' emergency plans, to partnering with the Ministry of Natural Resources to create a Business Continuity Plan for an operational unit. The knowledge and passion that the faculty have for their varying fields is inspiring.
Ministry of Natural Resources
Corporate Emergency Management and Security Unit
Corporate Management Division