Ontario College Advanced Diploma in Graphic Design - Visual Communication
Delivered at our campus in Peterborough, this is one of the few two-year Graphic Design advanced diploma programs offered in Ontario. In this intensive, compressed program, three years of study is completed over a two- year period. Graduates are ready to start their graphic design careers in just 24 month.
Students in Fleming’s accelerated graphic design program learn and work in a unique, contemporary design studio space; in this “classroom as design lab and studio,” they discover what it takes to become a professional designer, and how to thrive in this fast-paced industry.
Students gain the skills and understanding required to communicate ideas in digital and printed media through extensive and varied applied learning experiences. At the end of six continuous semesters, they are fully-prepared to hit the ground running, ready to launch their design careers in any industry that requires creative problem solving through visual communication.
In this program you will:
- Learn in a laptop-based environment which provides maximum flexibility to work offsite as well as in class.
- Experience the design studio model that emphasizes collaboration, communication and experimentation – skills that are highly valued by employers.
- Develop and build your art, design and technical skills in modular small projects, working toward a central major collaborative project to further test your abilities.
- Live the life of a designer, working independently and with your team, on an ambitious, large- scale project that requires branding, diverse multi-media graphic materials. This will include projects across a full range of media and platforms including print publications, advertising, web, mobile, social media, signage and environmental graphics.
- Gain additional, hands–on experience with an extensive work placement in a design studio, agency, or in–house design department.
- Understand how art fundamentals and principles inform successful design.
- Learn from our expert faculty as well as designers who are shaping today’s industry, through visitor guest lectures, workshops; attending the RGD industry conference.
- Graduate with a substantial portfolio, and the ability to prepare and deliver effective presentations.
Why Choose Fleming
Fleming College’s Haliburton School of Art + Design is known for providing innovative art and design programming. Offered at our campus in Peterborough, this new Graphic Design advanced diploma program is structured to simulate the setting and pace of a real-world design environment to prepare students to enter the workforce faster, fully-prepared to be successful.
Design Career Opportunities
There is a high demand for graphic designers and career opportunities in the industry are diverse.
Potential career settings include:
- branding agencies
- graphic design studios
- package design studios
- retail advertising
- in-house design departments in large and medium sized enterprises
- not-for-profit and government agencies
- marketing firms
Areas of Specialty
Areas of specialty include:
- branding and corporate identity
- book design
Minimum Admission Requirements
OSSD with the majority of credits at the College (C) and Open (O) level, including:
- 2 College (C) English courses (Grade 11 or 12).
When (C) is the minimum course level for admission (U) or U/c) courses are also accepted.
Mature students, 19 years of age or older, and not in possession of an OSSD, can write the Canadian Adult Achievement Test to assess eligibility for admission.
Tuition and Ancillary Fees
|Fees||Semester 1||Semester 2||Semester 3||Semester 4||Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Field Trip Fees||$413.00|
- MacBook Pro, 13-inch
- Adobe Creative Suites Creative Cloud Student and Teacher Edition
- External HD 1TB G-Tech 1TB G-Drive USB 3.0
- USB Flash Drive 32GB
- iPhone 5c or Smart Phone 32GB
You may be able to use credits obtained at Fleming College to continue your postsecondary education in pursuit of a degree. The articulation and credit transfer agreements with our partner institutions are summarized below.
- Minimum B cumulative average
- 60 out of a 120 credit degree;
Visit articulation agreement for details