in Academic Upgrading
Our free, flexible, customizable Academic Upgrading program will help you meet your goals.
Courses in a variety of subjects including math, computers, communications, and sciences can help you move forward with goals such as entry into post-secondary, employment, apprenticeship, or refreshing and gaining new skills.
- Self-paced Learning – in our adult environment you can set your own deadlines with your student advisor
- Start Anytime – our programs have year-round continuous intake
- Pick Your Schedule – attend full or part-time, day or evening (as available) - schedule around your work and family responsibilities
- Online Learning – some advanced courses are available in an online format
- Targeted Training – ask us about short term flexible courses that are designed for employment goals!
- Our classrooms are small and provide 1-1 individual attention from instructors
- Study Options - choose a combination of in-class, from home and online study
With the support of Fleming College's Academic Upgrading team, we can help you create a new path regardless of your challenges.
Academic Upgrading is available in all of our Fleming communities - Peterborough, Lindsay, Cobourg and Haliburton.
Academic Upgrading is a fit if you:
- Are 19 years of age or older
- Didn't finish high school
- Have been out of school for a while and need to refresh your academic skills to prepare for college
- Have your high school diploma, but are missing prerequisites that you need for a college program or apprenticeship
- Want to refresh your Math, Communications or Computer skills before re-entering the workforce
- Need your "Grade 12 Equivalency" to improve your career prospects
"I immigrated to Canada as a single Mom and worked retail. I attended Academic Upgrading. It was such a supportive environment. I will always be grateful for the skills I learned and the confidence I gained through attending. I am now enrolled in the Tourism Global Travel program at Fleming College and loving it!"
"I am a single mom who worked a night shift job at a local donut shop. I attended Academic Upgrading and developed the skills I needed to successfully enter an on-line Accounting program through Athabasca University. I am now employed f/t in the Accounting Department at a local agency – my life has changed significantly – it was worth the hard work."
Academic Upgrading courses are FREE to most residents of Ontario.
We can provide financial help for transportation and child-care expenses for those who qualify.
Your success is our priority. People learn in different ways and we are committed to working with you to help you reach your goals. Our non-traditional classroom allows for teacher support in a relaxed environment with other adult learners.
In addition to academic assistance, the Academic Upgrading program provides:
- Career and educational counselling,
- Time management, goal setting and other learning strategies tips
- Help with applications to college and apprenticeship programs when you finish your academic upgrading
- Referrals to community services and resources that can help you move your plans forward
When you complete your studies in the Academic Upgrading program:, you will be prepared to reach your goals - be they further education, training, or a new career. You will have acquired a new confidence and ability to learn - which will serve you well wherever you go, and in whatever you do.