Ontario College Diploma in Computer Engineering Technician
Learn to program, support and troubleshoot computer hardware and software in this four-semester program.
With this program, you will gain skills in computer networking and configuration, network security, and technical communications.
You will also learn about solving computer problems that can cause both major costs and setbacks for businesses, whether due to a major hardware failure or a minor software incompatibility. Your core courses are complemented by training in oral and written communications, customer relations, and team work. There's plenty of hands-on learning, putting the theory you learn in the classroom into practice.
Upon graduation, you'll have the broad-based, transferable skills that are in demand with a firm foundation for a career configuring hardware and software for computer systems. You'll also find opportunities troubleshooting problems in systems both before and after delivery to the customer or client.
- Prepare for industry certification exams such as A+ and Cisco Networking.
- This program has received National Accreditation through the Canadian Technology Accreditation Board. Graduates are recognized by the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists as meeting all the academic requirements for certification in the Certified Engineering Technician (Ctech) category.
- You have the opportunity to transfer to the three-year Computer Engineering Technology diploma.
Why Choose Fleming
Smaller classes mean more attention from dedicated faculty to help you meet challenges, and our broad-based approach to instruction will ensure versatility in your future career. Through our partnerships with computer hardware and software industry leaders, we're able to direct our grads to satisfying careers in the field.
Is this You?
These traits and abilities will help you succeed:
- curiosity about how computers work
- enjoy working with people/teams
- interested in working hands-on with the latest computer technology
- excellent analytical skills (important for problem solving)
- experience working with computers, programming an asset
Employment opportunities for skilled technicians exist in a wide range of organizations, with roles such as:
- Embedded system support
- Customer service representative
- Technical sales and support representative
- Technical support analyst
- Computer user support
- Systems testing technician
- Help desk technician
Self-employment is another career direction.
Minimum Admission Requirements
OSSD with the majority of credits at the College (C) and Open (O) level, including:
- 2 College (C) English courses (Grade 11 or Grade 12)
- 1 College (C) Math course (Grade 11 or Grade 12)
When (C) is the minimum course level for admission, (U) or (U/C) courses are also accepted.
If you are 19 years of age or older before classes start, and you do not possess an OSSD, you can write the Canadian Adult Achievement Test to assess your eligibility for admission. Additional testing or academic upgrading may be necessary to meet specific course requirements for this program.
Plan on $1,300 per year for books and supplies.
You may be able to use credits obtained at Fleming College to continue your postsecondary education in pursuit of a degree. The articulation and credit transfer agreements with our partner institutions are summarized below.
Institute of Technology, Sligo
- Minimum 60% cumulative average
- BSc (Ordinary) graduates in the above program will be eligible to achieve a BSc (Hons) in Computing in Systems & Networking through one year of full-time onsite or two years of on-line study.
- Entry into 3rd year studies;
Visit articulation agreement for details
- Minimum 75% cumulative average
- Successful completion of the Sheridan College Information Systems Security Bridge program
- Visit ONTransfer.ca for details
University of Ontario Institute of Technology
- Successful completion of program
- Successful completion of the IT Bridge program
- 45 out of a 120 credit degree;
Visit ONTransfer.ca for further details