in Emergency Management
Emergency Management and Business Continuity Professionals plan for, respond, and work to manage natural, technological and human caused disasters. Through this program, you will acquire the knowledge, skills, and practical hands-on training to promote resilience in the Emergency Management and Business Continuity world.
This unique one-year Emergency Management and Business Continuity program is ideally suited for working professionals and those who are interested in pursuing a new career in this dynamic and growing field. The programâ€™s flexible delivery model - online, and on-campus for weekend sessions - allows students the opportunity to work while pursuing advanced training.
Emergency Management and Business Continuity professionals are trained to prepare for various events such as loss of critical business functions, wildfires, flooding, pandemics, hazardous chemical spills, and other disasters that endanger the health and the survivability of public and private organizations. You will learn how to create resiliency programs to plan and prepare for, respond to, and recover from, natural, technological and human caused emergencies and disasters.
This program provides you with an historical context while instilling a solid understanding of governance, legislation and best practices. A vital component of an integrated Emergency Management and Business Continuity program is to prepare entities for the realities of business disruption and threats to community safety. You will acquire the essential tools for success in this field, to ensure a smooth and quick recovery of affected services and those that rely on them.
Our highly qualified faculty, network of working professionals, and industry experience, will provide you with the specialized training to be successful in the changing landscape of Emergency Management and Business Continuity. Graduate in three consecutive semesters with the hands-on skills and certifications to advance your career or stand out in todayâ€™s competitive job market.
Program Design, Training and Facilities that set our Program Apart
- Faculty members are experts in the field, bringing leading strategies and concepts to the classroom, and helping students to excel within the industry, whether they are new to Emergency Management and Business Continuity, or career professionals who are expanding their skills and abilities
- Unique emphasis on the Business Continuity aspect of training to prepare you for employment in this specific sector of the industry. Employers are seeking graduates who have emergency management and business continuity knowledge/certification
- Practical, hands-on learningâ€”students apply the knowledge acquired both in-class and in real-world settings
- Work with clients from municipalities, private sector industries, and non-government agencies designing, executing and presenting training exercises
- Client meetings and training exercises take place in actual Emergency Operations and Crisis Response Centre locations
Acquire Industry Certifications
- You will have the opportunity to complete certifications offered by the Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management (OFMEM) related to incident management, emergency management, and the operations of an emergency operations centre
- Throughout the program, you will be exposed to knowledge and skills that will prepare you to pursue further industry certifications available in business continuity
Municipalities, hospitals, government agencies, and private businesses large and small all need to employ experts in preparedness and response. Thatâ€™s what careers in this field are all about. Emergency Management and Business Continuity is fast becoming a criticalâ€”and in some cases, legislatedâ€”requirement in many businesses and government agencies across Canada. More career professionals are also experiencing the addition of emergency management and business continuity to their existing portfolios.
Our program graduates are employed with municipal, provincial and national government agencies and in the private sector, as increasing numbers of companies and organizations require business continuity planning and emergency management.
Is this You?
Successful graduates of our Emergency Management program come from a variety of backgrounds, including:
- Working professionals from a range of industries (business, healthcare, social services, government agencies, emergency response, NGOs, etc.) who are being asked to add Business Continuity or Emergency Management to their career portfolios
- College program graduates from Police Foundations, Security and Risk Management, Business, Health, Community Development, Environmental Sciences, etc.
- University graduates from Liberal Arts, Business, Justice Studies, Health, Environmental Sciences, etc.
If you are changing careers, employment experience in one of the following fields will also be useful:
- Public sector employee (hospital, government, airport, etc.)
- Police officer, firefighter, paramedics, first responders or volunteers
- Occupational health and safety professionals
- Security and risk management specialists
- Members of the Canadian Forces
- Business and project management specialists
"It was great to be a part of the Emergency Management class at Fleming and I truly learned a lot from the program. I have also learned from my experiences at various emergency management volunteer opportunities that the Fleming program does provide a lot more certifications and client based experience than other EM programs. I have been able to secure a dream job with Husky Energy as a business continuity planner. Part of my role will be assessing their 72 different business continuity plans and putting new initiatives into place."
Julie St. Louis,
Business Continuity Planner
The Fleming College Emergency Management program created a solid foundation for me to begin my new career. The hands-on approach and structured learning allowed me to gain knowledge and experience in many different components of this multi-faceted field. Opportunities ranged from developing exercises, to testing municipalities' emergency plans, to partnering with the Ministry of Natural Resources to create a Business Continuity Plan for an operational unit. The knowledge and passion that the faculty have for their varying fields is inspiring.
Ministry of Natural Resources
Corporate Emergency Management and Security Unit
Corporate Management Division
Tuition and ancillary fees are subject to change without notice. The fees presented below reflect Fall start programs only for the current academic year. For details about the fee differences for other program start dates please refer to the Tuition Details chart below.