School of Health and Wellness
Discover Your Role in Health and Wellness
You'll receive in-depth training in the classroom, lab, at clinical and field placement settings, optimizing the theoretical learning and practical experience youâ€™ll need to be successful. Our focus is to prepare you to pass provincial exams and ensure you are confident and competent as you embark on your new career.
Programs in the School of Health and Wellness
- Biotechnology - Advanced
- Community Pharmacy Assistant
- Fitness and Health Promotion
- Health Information Management
- Massage Therapy
- Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant
- Perioperative Nursing
- Personal Support Worker
- Personal Support Worker (PWC) - Accelerated
- Personal Support Worker (PWD) - Accelerated
- Pharmacy Technician
- Practical Nursing
- Practical Nursing - Part-Time
- Recreation and Leisure Services
- Recreation and Leisure Services - Advanced Standing
- Therapeutic Recreation
- Trent/Fleming - Bachelor of Science - Nursing
The Pharmacy Technician lab features a fully-networked dispensary with 30 individual laptops equipped with industry standard KROLL software. The lab features dispensing, compounding, a long-term care and hospital setting, and a sterile preparation area. Working in this on-site pharmacy setting with the latest prescription preparation equipment, coupled with extensive work placement experience, ensures all students are industry ready when they graduate.
The Spa + Clinic at Fleming
Students in the Esthetician and the Massage Therapy programs will learn in a new, state-of-the-art Spa + Clinic facility. The focus is on wellness in this 4,470 square-foot lab that features client care areas for spa treatments, therapeutic massage, and a shared reception space. In this real-world setting students have the opportunity to provide a full-range of spa and therapeutic massage treatments to the public.
The Esthetician and Massage Therapy programs are delivered in compressed formats which means you can graduate and start your career sooner. The design of the Esthetician curriculum condenses two years of study into just 12 months, while the Massage Therapy program takes place over five consecutive semesters.
Our health programs undergo rigorous review by the governing bodies that oversee accreditation in their respective fields. This investigation ensures program curriculum, facilities and delivery standards are met or exceeded. See the Health Information Management, Practical Nursing, Pharmacy Technician, Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant program pages for complete accreditation details.
Double the Power of your Diploma
Today's employers are looking to hire graduates with a broad range of skills and completing both diplomas provides you with:
- Experience to develop fitness, health and wellness, and recreation programs for individuals, groups, or community organizations
- Extensive and varied field placement experience - over 975 hours of preparation and onsite applied learning
- Placements can be tailored to specific career goals or university plans
- Leadership and coaching skills
- Business, marketing and entrepreneurial skills
You will be qualified to work in a variety of places including community recreation and fitness settings, with corporations, in social or health organizations, or in the tourism and resort sector. If you are more of an entrepreneur, you can start your own business.
Biotechnologyâ€“Advanced graduate Stephanie Matteer was hired full-time after completing her internship at the Toronto Zoo. She currently works in the Reproductive Physiology Lab as a Research Assistant.
"My education at Fleming definitely played a big part in securing my job here. Not only did the Biotechnology program provide me with a well-rounded scientific knowledge base, but it also provided me with the technical skills and experience required to work in a lab environment."