Fleming College

skip navigation

International student cap-updates and FAQs

Updated: 2024-03-28 16:16:07

Work in Canada

All information provided on this page can be found on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

Social Insurance Number

International students working in Canada must obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Service Canada.

Service Canada SIN Requirements:

You must have one of the following conditions or remarks printed on your study permit in order to apply for a SIN:

  • "May accept employment on the campus of the institution at which registered in full-time studies"
  • "May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria"

If your study permit does not have one of the above conditions or remarks, you must submit a request for an amendment to your study permit before you can apply for a SIN. There is no fee for this request.

If your study permit states "This permit does not permit the holder to engage in off campus employment in Canada", and you have changed your program of study, you must apply to change the conditions of your study permit and pay the applicable fee.

For information about applying for a SIN, including required documents, please visit: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/how.shtml.

Service Canada Centres

Peterborough Service Canada Centre Lindsay Service Canada Centre
219 George Street North
Peterborough, Ontario
65 Kent St W
Lindsay, ON K9V 2Y3

On-Campus Work

Full-time registered students may work on campus without a work permit if they meet the following requirements:

  • you are a full-time student;
  • you have a valid study permit.

You must stop working on-campus on the day you no longer meet the above eligibility requirements (e.g., if you are no longer a full-time student.) For more information please visit: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-oncampus.asp

Please note : on-campus jobs are limited.

Off-Campus Work Permits

Study permit holders in Canada may gain work experience by working off campus while completing their studies. As of June 1, 2014, students may qualify to work off campus without a work permit. If you qualify, your study permit will allow you to:

  • work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions, and
  • work full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

To qualify, you must:

  • have a valid study permit
  • be a full-time student
  • be enrolled at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level or, in Quebec, a vocational program at the secondary level, and
  • be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration. You must stop working on the day you no longer meet the above eligibility requirements. Use the self-assessment tool to see if you are eligible to work off campus without a work permit. For more information please visit: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

Co-op Work Permit

International Students who are required to complete a field placement, internship, co-op or clinical placement as part of their studies must have a Co-op Work Permit, even if it is unpaid work, and whether it is on or off campus. You will learn if you need this permit by checking your Fleming offer letter to see if there are hours listed under the “Internship/Work Practicum” section.

We encourage students to follow the instructions in their offer package and apply before coming to Canada, while applying for your study permit and visa. It is free and will be issued at the border with your study permit when you arrive.

If you are in Canada and need a co-op work permit, you can learn more here about applying from within Canada.

For more information about co-op work permits, please visit:

Post-Graduate Work Permits

Students who complete their program of study at Fleming College successfully may be able to apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWPP). The PGWPP allows students to gain valuable Canadian work experience.

A work permit under the PGWPP may be issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years. A post-graduation work permit cannot be valid for longer than the student's study program, and the study program must be a minimum of eight months in length.

To determine if you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit please visit: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp.

Please note: Immigration Regulations are Legislated by the Federal Government of Canada and are subject to Change at any time without notice. Students are responsible for ensuring that they are in compliance with all Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) regulations at all times during their studies and while in Canada. Fleming College staff are not authorized to provide advice or guidance on immigration-related matters. Applicants and students should consult the CIC website at www.cic.gc.ca or contact the CIC Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100 to confirm or clarify immigration-related information and requirements.

Course Cart (0)