Ontario College Diploma in Educational Support - Advanced Standing
Graduate in just ten months with the Educational Support - Advanced Standing program. If you have a college diploma or university degree, you are eligible for this accelerated program.
Explore the roles of teacher and educational assistant. Learn how to manage behaviour, modify educational programming, support children with a range of special needs, and assist with curriculum planning. Much of this training is experiential, in various educational settings in the classroom in an area school. The final part of the program is an intensive, semester-long, practical learning experience in an educational setting or agency.
Why Choose Fleming
Our Educational Support graduates are in demand by many area school boards, because our program has a 20-year plus reputation for producing well-rounded, highly adaptable graduates with a broad-skill set.
You will refine your skills as a competent, caring educational assistant during your field practices. In your second semester, you will take part in a 25-day field practice. During your final semester, you will complete a seven-week block field practice*. You may choose to do your final practice in any community in Ontario that you wish. You will be required to submit a current police records check, which is available from your local police department upon payment of a fee.
* In addition to paying tuition and fees for semesters one and two, students pay tuition and fees at half the full-time rate for the third semester field placement.
Is this You?
To succeed in this program and career, you need:
- a love of children
- concern for their healthy physical, intellectual, social and emotional development
- the ability to work as part of a team
- strong interpersonal and problem solving skills
- experience working with children or youth is an asset
While many graduates find satisfying and rewarding employment within the school system, there are also opportunities in other institutional settings offering education as part of the programming. Placement in the final semester can lead to employment for graduates--some may even be offered a job before graduating.
Plan to spend approximately $700 for books and supplies.
Health and Non Academic Requirements
Being an educational assistant is a physically demanding job. You will be required to demonstrate the ability to meet physical demands of the job before a school board will make you an offer of employment.
Non Academic Requirements
Your program has mandatory requirements which may include a criminal reference check, first aid, CPR-C, etc. For more information, please see the Non Academic Requirements page.
Minimum Admission Requirements
Students applying to Educational Support - Advanced Standing must meet the following requirements:
- Ontario College Diploma or University Degree or equivalent
OSSD with majority of courses at College (C ) or Open (O) unless otherwise stated.
Grade 12 C courses will be accepted where Gr 11 C course requirements are listed.
Where College level courses are listed, U and M courses will be accepted.
Two Gr 11 courses will be accepted in lieu of a Gr 12 course requirement.
You may be able to use credits obtained at Fleming College to continue your postsecondary education in pursuit of a degree. The articulation and credit transfer agreements with our partner institutions are summarized below.
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- 30 out of a 90 credit degree;
Visit ONTransfer.ca for further details
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- The diploma must include a one-year introductory university-level humanities or social science course or equivalent
- Two years (or equivalent) related work/advocacy experience. Applicants without this may be accepted, but must either complete DST 80A/B: Practicum in Disability Studies in the program or apply for exemption if achieved while in the program
- Visit ONTransfer.ca for details