Peterborough ON â€“ (October 23, 2019) â€“ Fleming College is pleased to co-host the Peterborough Engineering Symposium (PES) in partnership with IEEE, Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO) and the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT). The Symposium will take place on Saturday, Oct. 26 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Flemingâ€™s Sutherland Campus, 599 Brealey Dr., Peterborough.
Technologies have fundamentally altered the nature of how we live, work and play. In this time of unprecedented technological growth, we must embrace innovation and invest in the latest technology and digital tools. With Artificial Intelligence (AI) now in schools, workplaces, homes and public spaces, the 2019 PES will focus on topics relating to AI and how it will shape the future within current laws, bylaws and standards. During the Symposium, students and attendees have the opportunity to interact and speak with the engineers.
Panel experts will discuss the impact of data collection on day-to-day activities and how that information is used to model the future. Panelists include:
- Aijun An â€“ Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, York University
- Dale Arndt â€“ Director of Engineering, FANUC Canada, LTD
- Dr. Wengying Feng â€“ Professor, Chair, Department of Mathematics, Trent University
- Dr. Jason Millar â€“ Assistant Professor, University of Ottawaâ€™s School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, and Affiliate Researcher, Center for Automotive Research at Stanford and Center for Law, Technology and Society (uOttawa)
- Dr. Tom Phillips â€“ Vice President, Academic Experience, Fleming College
- Parisa Pouladzadeh â€“ Faculty member in the School of Trades and Technology, Fleming College
- Lynn Teatro â€“ B.Sc. DTM, entrepreneur
- Paul Teleki â€“ M.A. in Public Ethics, University of Ottawa, working in market research sector for more than two decades
- Ian Thomson â€“ Information Security Officer, Trent University and part-time professor, Fleming College
9 a.m. Networking and coffee
Career Advice, discussions and show exhibits continue through event
10 a.m. Registration and welcome from Fleming Collegeâ€™s Vice President, Academic Experience, Dr. Tom Phillips
10:30 a.m. Speaker presentations (Parisa Pouladzadeh and Dr. Tom Phillips)
11:30 a.m. Lunch and networking for all registered workshop attendees; tours of the Fleming D and B Wings available upon request
1 p.m. Speaker presentations (Dr. Jason Millar, Aijun An and Dale Arndt)
2 p.m. Panel discussion moderated by Fleming Collegeâ€™s Vice President, Academic Experience, Dr. Tom Phillips
The Symposium is free for attendees, space is limited. For more information please visit https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/peterborough-engineering-symposium-pes-how-will-ai-shape-our-future-tickets-65805707643.
About Fleming College
Located in the heart of Central Ontario, Fleming College has campus locations in Peterborough, Lindsay, Cobourg and Haliburton. Named for famous Canadian inventor and engineer Sir Sandford Fleming, the college features more than 100 full-time programs in Arts and Heritage, Business, Environmental and Natural Resource Sciences, General Arts and Sciences, Health and Wellness, Justice and Community Development, Skilled Trades and Technology, and Continuing Education. Fleming College has more than 6,800 full-time and 10,000 part-time students, and 75,000 alumni.
Media, for more information
705.749.5530 x 1366