Peterborough, ON (Nov. 7, 2016) – Fleming College’s Frost and Sutherland campuses will receive vital and necessary upgrades to classrooms and labs through infrastructure funding from the federal and provincial governments, it was announced today.
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada, via the Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund (SIF), will provide Fleming College with $6.23 million to renew its health sciences facilities at Sutherland Campus. This will be combined with a $1.36 million contribution from the provincial government and $4.87 million in institutional funding from Fleming for a total project cost of $12,463,000.
SIF will further fund a renovation to the GeoCentre and environmental sciences area at Frost Campus. The federal government will contribute $2.26 million to that project with another $2.26 million funded by Fleming for a total cost of $4,520,500.
“We are pleased to welcome this funding announcement from our federal and provincial governments,” said Fleming College President Tony Tilly. “With the recent opening of the Kawartha Trades and Technology Centre and the Fleming Sport Complex, we are excited to embark on yet another project to further improve and enhance our learning spaces on campus.”
Renovations at the Sutherland Campus will include:
- Renovation of eight classrooms and five labs/skills simulation centres.
- Renewal of original classrooms that have little access to daylight or views.
- Redesign of corridors and staircases that experience overcrowding, particularly in the area where students access public transportation.
- New social study areas.
- Renewal of IT infrastructure.
Learn more about the project at Sutherland Campus here.
Renovations at the Frost Campus will include:
- Renovation and expansion of existing geoscience labs – two new geology labs, two new storage rooms, four new offices, and a realigned corridor.
- Renovation of the existing fish hatchery lab/classroom into a dedicated classroom and adding two new environmental science labs.
- The labs will feature state-of-the-art learning technologies and flexibility in design.
- A secondary entrance will be added to the east wing, along with an elevator and ramp, to improve access and circulation.
- New technology and AV infrastructure.
Learn more about the project at Frost here.
The projects will update building areas that are original to their construction in the 1970s.
“The current facilities limit the college’s capacity to create and deliver new programs or redesign existing programs to effectively meet quickly evolving labour market needs,” said Dr. Tilly.
The renovations also provide an opportunity for Fleming to significantly improve sustainability. Renewal of the buildings’ exterior envelope, cladding and roofing along with the installation of new lighting, mechanical and electrical systems will reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve energy efficiency.
Renovations will start immediately with expected completion in spring 2018.
About Fleming College
Located in the heart of Central Ontario, Fleming College has campus locations in Peterborough, Lindsay, Cobourg and Haliburton. Named for famous Canadian inventor and engineer Sir Sandford Fleming, the college features more than 100 full-time programs in Arts and Heritage, Business, Environmental and Natural Resource Sciences, General Arts and Sciences, Health and Wellness, Justice and Community Development, Skilled Trades and Technology, and Continuing Education. Fleming College has more than 5,800 full-time and 10,000 part-time students, and 71,000 alumni.
Media, for more information please contact:
705.749.5530 x 1370