Fleming College celebrating Winter Pride Week: Feb. 13-17
Peterborough ON – (Feb. 9, 2017) – Fleming College will celebrate its first Winter Pride Week Feb. 13-17 at Frost and Sutherland campuses.
“Pride Week in City of Kawartha Lakes takes place in the summer. As such, many of the students at Frost Campus are not around to fully participate in the programming taking place in the community,” said Miranda Moores, First Generation and LGBTQ+ Student Success Advisor. “And through meetings with clubs, volunteers, and students, we felt a Pride Week was a natural step to take to celebrate the diversity that exists on campus and honour love and gender diversity.”
The week was planned to coincide with Valentine’s Day and an overall theme of love. Moores added that students are becoming more involved in LGBTQ+ centred events and initiatives on campus – both the Pride Alliance at Sutherland and the Gender and Sexuality Alliance at Frost Campus have recently been reinvigorated.
Here is the schedule of events for Winter Pride Week at Fleming College:
Monday, Feb 13
- Movie Night at Sutherland Campus (3-6 p.m. in A3 120) and Frost Campus (7-9 p.m. in Room 180)
Tuesday, Feb. 14
- Sutherland Campus – Self Love and Self Care hosted by the Pride Alliance and located outside B3100 (Whetung Theatre) all day: Rainbow Post-its will be available for students to write messages of encouragement for self-care and to show self-love. These will be posted to form a rainbow of self-love and self-care.
- Frost Campus – ‘What is Love?’ at Auk’s Lodge all day: ‘What is Love?’ will be written on a chalkboard and students will be encouraged to add their answers.
- Frost Campus – Dirty Bingo Night at 5 p.m. in Auk’s Lodge: the event will feature a harm reduction element that includes educating about terms for identities and orientations.
Wednesday, Feb. 15
- Sutherland Campus – Bake Sale in the main foyer starting at noon
- Sutherland Campus – Positive Space Level 1 Workshop from 4-6 p.m. in B3 102
- Frost Campus – Flemprov with the GSA at 5 p.m. in Auk’s Lodge
Thursday, Feb. 16
- Sutherland Campus – Board Game Event in the lower cafeteria from 2-4 p.m.
- Frost Campus: Bake Sale on the Discovery Trail from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Friday, Feb. 17
- Sutherland Campus – Pride Social in the Steele Centre from 5-7 p.m.
- Frost Campus – Arts, Crafts and Snacks in Auk’s Lodge from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Frost Campus – Positive Space Level 1 from 1-3 p.m. in Room 222
- Sutherland and Frost libraries to feature Pride Week displays
- Sutherland Campus – Pride and Trans flag will be hanging in the main foyer
- Frost Campus – Pride flag will be hanging in the main foyer
About Fleming College
Located in the heart of Central Ontario, Fleming College has campus locations in Peterborough, Lindsay, Cobourg and Haliburton. Named for famous Canadian inventor and engineer Sir Sandford Fleming, the college features more than 100 full-time programs in Arts and Heritage, Business, Environmental and Natural Resource Sciences, General Arts and Sciences, Health and Wellness, Justice and Community Development, Skilled Trades and Technology, and Continuing Education. Fleming College has more than 5,800 full-time and 10,000 part-time students, and 71,000 alumni.
Media, for more information please contact:
705.749.5530 x 1370