The Trades Fundamentals pathway program provides a sampler of basic level construction and trades skills, while you earn course credit towards future trades studies.
|Program Status:||Accepting Applications|
|Coordinator:||Paul Jordan Email|
|Credential:||Ontario College Certificate|
|Start Dates:||September 06, 2016|
|Tuition and Ancillary Fees (Domestic):||$2,545.37 per semester*|
|Tuition and Ancillary Fees (International):||$7,620.35 per semester*|
|* Tuition and fees subject to change.|
Explore the various skilled trades fields of study offered at Fleming College. Graduate with a better understanding of the types of careers available - and the best pathway to get there.
You’ll also improve your core mathematical, communications, and science skills, which will help you to be successful in any trades program you choose.
In this program you will learn to:
- Select and safely operate the tools and equipment used by workers within the trades.
- Solve routine technical problems by applying fundamental mathematics and scientific principles.
- Assist in the interpretation and preparation of drawings, blueprints and other related documents and graphics.
- Solve trades-related problems, using the appropriate tools.
- Work safely and in accordance with applicable codes and regulations to enhance personal and public safety.
- Develop a career plan for a specific trade or trades.
In addition, you will have the opportunity to obtain certificates in WHMIS, Hoisting & Rigging, as well as Awareness Certificates in Confined Spaces, Trenching, Working at Heights and Lockout/Tagout.
You will also have Grade 12 Math equivalency.
Trades Fundamentals Program Options
Upon successful completion of this Ontario College Certificate, you will have earned credit for first semester of the following programs, and can pathway into semester two of these Fleming College programs:
- Carpentry Techniques
- Mechanical Techniques - Plumbing
- Welding Techniques
You will also have earned some transfer credits, reducing your program workload, if you choose to enter our Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning or Electrical Techniques program.
If you seek employment directly after graduation from the Trades Fundamentals program, you would be employed at an entry level and would require further training to pursue a career in your chosen sector.
You can acquire more specialized skills and knowledge by completing another certificate or diploma, and increase your employment options. Since labour shortfalls in the skilled trades workforce are well-documented and recognized, pursuing a trades career offers strong options for employment.
Minimum Admission Requirements
- OSSD with the majority of credits at the Workplace (E) level, including English.
If you are 19 years of age or older before classes start, and you do not possess an OSSD, you can write the Canadian Adult Achievement Test to assess your eligibility for admission.
Every attempt is made to ensure the accuracy of the information on our website and in our publications. The College reserves the right to modify or cancel any course, program, fee, timetable, or campus location at any time.