Fleming's Preparatory Health Science certificate program includes the essential courses to develop the competencies needed for successful application to the Trent/Fleming Bachelor of Science - Nursing program or further studies in the field of Science.
|Program Status:||Accepting Applications|
|Coordinator:||Erin Kirk Email|
|Credential:||Ontario College Certificate|
|Start Dates:||September 06, 2016|
|Tuition and Ancillary Fees (Domestic):||$2,514.37 per semester*|
|Tuition and Ancillary Fees (International):||$7,589.35 per semester*|
|* Tuition and fees subject to change.|
Whether your goal is to pursue a career in Nursing, or to continue university-level or advanced college-level Science studies, solid Science, Math and English skills are fundamental to your success. In this one-year preparatory program, you will take core courses in Chemistry, Biology, English, and Mathematics.
The program will provide you with extensive hands-on, laboratory-based learning experience, in preparation for post-secondary level science programs.
You will also have the opportunity to take one elective course in second semester, depending upon your interests. General Education elective courses are designed to help you to become a competent communicator, problem solver, and to hone your analytical skills for the workplace.
If a career in nursing is your goal:
- Successful completion of the Preparatory Health Sciences program provides the essential courses to meet application requirements for the Trent/Fleming Bachelor of Science in Nursing program.
- Through the dynamic partnership between Fleming College and Trent University, the unique, fully integrated Bachelor of Science in Nursing program was developed to give you the best of both theory and practical education for this profession.
- As a result of this partnership, graduates of the Preparatory Health Sciences program who meet admission requirements will be considered for entry to the B.Sc.N. program.
- Admission to the B.Sc.N. program is competitive. Meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee acceptance into the B.Sc.N. program.
If further studies in the field of science is your goal:
- Successful completion of the Preparatory Health Sciences program provides the essential courses to meet application requirements to the Trent Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) program.
- Graduates with a minimum 65% average will be considered for entry
- Graduates may also meet admission criteria for programs at other universities.
Students interested in applying to other B.Sc.N. or B.Sc. programs are advised to consult with the admission office at the specific institution they are interested in for more information. For additional details, contact the Preparatory Health Sciences program coordinator.
Is this You?
To succeed in this program you need:
- strong oral and written communication skills
- ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently
- an interest in science, health care and related fields
- problem solving skills
- emotional maturity
- commitment to making your education work
- good time management, organizational skills
- willingness to explore your options
Minimum Admission Requirements
OSSD with the majority of credits at the College (C) and Open (O) level, including:
- 2 College (C) English courses (Grade 11 or Grade 12)
- 2 College (C) Math courses (Grade 11 or Grade 12)
- 2 different Grade 11 or 12 College (C) Science courses (Biology, Chemistry or Physics)
When (C) is the minimum course level for admission, (U) or (U/C) courses are also accepted.
Recommended (but not required for admission):
If you are 19 years of age or older before classes start, and you do not possess an OSSD, you can write the Canadian Adult Achievement Test to assess your eligibility for admission. Additional testing or academic upgrading may be necessary.
All applicants will be required to achieve course credit in the mandatory science courses, through Secondary School or through Academic Upgrading programs.
Plan to spend at least $700 per year for books and supplies.
Every attempt is made to ensure the accuracy of the information on our website and in our publications. The College reserves the right to modify or cancel any course, program, fee, timetable, or campus location at any time.