Fleming College is celebrating International Education Week with a two-day Multicultural Showcase on Nov. 17 and Nov. 18.
Hosted by Fleming’s International Student Services, students, staff, and community members have put together a series of activities and demonstrations to highlight some of the diverse and unique talents within our community. The Multicultural Showcase includes martial arts, dance performances, singing, a culinary show and Zumba. The event is free to attend, suitable for all ages and is accessible.
Activities run from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. on both days and take place in the main foyer of Fleming’s Sutherland Campus. Members of the public are welcome to attend. Free parking is available in the Ash, Aspen, Birch, and Oak parking lots.
International Education Week runs from Nov. 14 to Nov. 18. It celebrates and highlights the importance and impact International Education has had on students around the world.
Thursday, Nov. 17
- 10:00 AM – Official Opening and Acknowledgement of the Land
- 10:05 AM – Bluewave Taekwondo martial arts demo and interactive workshop with Master Touzin and Instructor Prodonick (Korea)
- 11:30 AM – Magnificent Egypt – Follow Maha Elnaggar’s steps to language and culture (Egypt)
- 12:00 PM – Indigenous dance and history with Kelli Marshall (Canada)
- 12:45 PM – Dance performances: Bharatnatyam and Punjabi with Nabanita Mondal and Gurleen Kaur Bajwa (India)
- 01:10 PM – Singer and guitar player Lorinda Seward (Canada)
- 01:35 PM – Latin acoustic guitar player Giovanni Matamoros (Latin America)
- 02:00 PM – Singer Jaspreet Kaur – Punjab folk songs (India)
- 02:30 PM – Bhangra dancers Komalpreet Kaur and Gurkirat Singh followed by Twincy (India)
- 03:00 PM – Singer Sophia Gill (India)
- 03:15 PM – Punjab dancer Parul Singh, Gurkirat Kaur and Navjot Kaur (India)
Friday, Nov. 18
- 10:00 AM – Singer Oleyelgun King David (Nigeria)
- 11:00 AM – International Bites Culinary Show with Chef Steve Benns and Fleming College Culinary Students – How to make vegetarian samosas with mango chutney, and French Canadian poutine (samples will be provided)
- 12:30 PM – Dance Performances: Sakshi Modi, Syed Tanvir Hasab, Gurleen Kaur Bajwa (India)
- 01:30 PM – Dance Performance: Anisha Ghale and Sisan Katri (Nepal)
- 02:00 PM – Singers: Jay Kumar , Anmol Singh Saluja, Namratha Ravfi Shankar, Apurva John Vakharia & Jay Joshi (Beatbox interactive), Namratha Ravfi Shankar, Jay Kumar (India)
- 02:50 PM – Punjab Dancer Muskan Ansari (India)
- 03:00 PM – Zumba interactive workshop with instructors Stefania and Cristina (world rhythms) Participants should wear comfortable tennis shoes and workout clothes. A water bottle and towel are recommended. Previous experience is not required. All levels are welcome.