Information for New Students January 2015
Welcome to Fleming College! On this page your will find up to date information designed to help you prepare for your semester and transition into life at Fleming.
Academic Orientation day for most programs is scheduled for Monday, January 12th. Attending your academic orientation day is the best way to meet your coordinators, understand your responsibilities and course expectations and connect with other new students who are enrolled in your same program before classes begin on Tuesday, January 13th.
Please ensure you login to the student portal and click on the red "New Student Orientation" link located in the top right of the portal home page. You will also find more detailed information about various social events happening at your specific campus throughout the month of January on the portal.
Sutherland Campus (Peterborough)
Fleming welcomes all new students to the Fleming Knight Orientation (Fleming K.O.) on Monday, January 12th at the Sutherland campus. All first semester students should follow the academic orientation schedule as detailed below and begin your regularly scheduled classes on Tuesday, January 13th.
As a reminder to all returning students - your classes are running as scheduled on the 12th. Please follow your academic schedules on the first day of school.
First semester students have been sent an email with academic orientation schedule. Each academic school has specific times associated with it, so it is important that you review your schedule carefully. Following the welcome session and induction ceremony, most programs will have unique program sessions. You can find these details on your schedule below. Some programs will not have unique program sessions including programs in the School of Business and common first semester programs in the School of Justice and Community Development. Programs in these areas will be participating in combined sessions developed by your faculty. Please ensure you read your schedules carefully!
After the welcome session/induction ceremony, new students will receive a free lunch voucher valid for Monday January 12th or Tuesday, January 13th. All students are also invited to celebrate Sir Sandford Fleming’s birthday with cake in the foyer.
Download Your Orientation Day Schedule
- School of General Arts and Science
- School of Health and Wellness
- School of Justice & Business Studies: Business Programs
- School of Justice and Business Studies: Law and Justice Programs
- School of Trades & Technology
Other information for Sutherland students:
- There is a mandatory International Student Session for all international students starting at 11:00 am
- Services in the foyer all day include:
- Student Life
- International Student Services
- Student ID is set up all week from 8:30 am - 4:30 pm in rooms B2 345 and B2 349. Please make sure you bring government ID with you to get your student card
Frost Campus (Lindsay)
Download Your Orientation Day Schedule
Other Important Information
Frequently asked questions about orientation:
- Will all programs have academic orientation on the same date and time?
- At the Peterborough and Haliburton campuses, academic orientation will happen on Tuesday, September 2nd. Students entering programs at the Frost campus will have their schedules emailed to them directly or alternatively, Frost students can check their timetable schedule in their student portal. (see more information below)
For all new students, ensure you are following your Orientation schedule, not your academic timetable on Tuesday, September 2nd.
Each program at Fleming is a part of individual academic schools: The School of Education, Health and Wellness, The School of Justice and Business Studies, The School of General Arts and Science, The School of Trades and Technology, The School of Environmental and Natural Resource Sciences and The Haliburton School of the Arts.
Individual programs in each school have separate academic schedules, so please check your specific program name to determine the specific details about when/where your academic program orientation is being hosted.
- Is orientation about more than academics?
- Is orientation about more than academics? Yes! Many departments in the college, including Athletics, Student Life, Residence Life, Aboriginal Student Services, International Student Services,Diversity Equity and Inclusion, and your Student Councils have planned activities and events. A full list of "things to do" will be posted on this page.
- Is there hazing involved?
- No! No hazing, initiations, or Hollywood inspired frosh rituals are planned. Programming is designed to welcome and inspire you to participate in all aspects of college life at Fleming, both academically and socially.
- Where can I get a quick look at the various services and supports available at Fleming before I start school?
- Information is always available online through the Fleming College main website and you can also check out the January edition of Student Health 101.
- What are the expections of me, and what can I expect of my Faculty?
- We have put together the following document to answer this question. Please see the Student and Faculty Guidelines for Professional Practice
I attended Orientation sessions last year in September - and what a great idea it was. I gained lots of valuable insights into my program, met many of my faculty, and got a head start on what has been a really successful year. I'd recommend this for everybody - it made me feel so welcome at Fleming, and I hit the ground running academically.
-- Shannon Culkeen, 2012 Class Valedictorian
Revised: December 19, 2014