Information for New Students September 2014
Welcome to Fleming College!. On this page you will find up to date information designed to help you prepare for your semester and transition into life at Fleming.
Academic Orientation for most programs is scheduled for Tuesday, September 2nd. Attending your academic orientation day is the best way to meet your program coordinators, understand your responsibilities and course expectations and connect with other new students who are enrolled in your same program before classes begin.
Please ensure you login to the student portal and click on the red "New Student Orientation" link located in the top right of the portal home page. You will also find more detailed information about various Orientation events happening at your specific campus.
Sutherland Campus (Peterborough)
Fleming welcomes all new and returning students to The Fleming Knight Orientation (Fleming K.O.) on Tuesday, September 2nd at the Sutherland Campus. As a reminder to all returning students - Classes start on Wednesday, September 3, for students entering semester 2 to 6 at the Sutherland Campus.
First Semester students have been sent an email with their academic orientation schedule as well as the Fleming KO schedule. All academic activities at the Sutherland Campus are scheduled from 11:00 am -12:30 pm. The Fleming KO begins at 12:30 with a Knights Induction Ceremony and then a full day of activities on the Fleming Fields including a free bbq, end zone party, bubble soccer, varsity soccer exhibition game and concert.
Please remember to check in when you arrive on campus to receive your wristband and lunch ticket!
Returning students are invited to participate in the Fleming KO as well. You will need to bring your student ID to get a wristband. Full details available on the Fleming KO schedule.
Download Your Orientation Day Schedule
- School of General Arts & Science
- School of Community Development & Health
- School of Justice & Business Studies: Business Hospitality Programs
- School of Justice & Business Studies: Law & Justice Programs
- School of Trades & Technology
Frost Campus (Lindsay)
Download Your Orientation Day Schedule
Other Important Information
Note: Orientation Events at the Haliburton Campus are scheduled for Monday (Labour Day), September 1st.
- Offering workshops/ information sessions from 12:30pm - 3:10pm for all programs offered at the Haliburton campus.
Frequently asked questions about orientation:
- Will all programs have academic orientation on the same date and time?
- At the Peterborough and Haliburton campuses, academic orientation will happen on Tuesday, September 2nd. Students entering programs at the Frost campus will have their schedules emailed to them directly or alternatively, Frost students can check their timetable schedule in their student portal. (see more information below)
For all new students, ensure you are following your Orientation schedule, not your academic timetable on Tuesday, September 2nd.
Each program at Fleming is a part of individual academic schools: The School of Education, Health and Wellness, The School of Justice and Business Studies, The School of General Arts and Science, The School of Trades and Technology, The School of Environmental and Natural Resource Sciences and The Haliburton School of the Arts.
Individual programs in each school have separate academic schedules, so please check your specific program name to determine the specific details about when/where your academic program orientation is being hosted.
- Is orientation about more than academics?
- Is orientation about more than academics? Yes! Many departments in the college, including Athletics, Student Life, Residence Life, Aboriginal Student Services, International Student Services,Diversity Equity and Inclusion, and your Student Councils have planned activities and events. A full list of "things to do" will be posted on this page.
- Is there hazing involved?
- No! No hazing, initiations, or Hollywood inspired frosh rituals are planned. Programming is designed to welcome and inspire you to participate in all aspects of college life at Fleming, both academically and socially.
- Where can I get a quick look at the various services and supports available at Fleming before I start school?
- Information is always available online through the Fleming College main website and you can also check out the January edition of Student Health 101.
- What are the expections of me, and what can I expect of my Faculty?
- We have put together the following document to answer this question. Please see the Student and Faculty Guidelines for Professional Practice
I attended Orientation sessions last year in September - and what a great idea it was. I gained lots of valuable insights into my program, met many of my faculty, and got a head start on what has been a really successful year. I'd recommend this for everybody - it made me feel so welcome at Fleming, and I hit the ground running academically.
-- Shannon Culkeen, 2012 Class Valedictorian
Revised: August 29, 2014