Information for New Students September 2014
Welcome to Fleming College!. On this page you will find up to date information designed to help you prepare for your semester and transition into life at Fleming.
Academic Orientation for most programs is scheduled for Tuesday, September 2nd. Attending your academic orientation day is the best way to meet your program coordinators, understand your responsibilities and course expectations and connect with other new students who are enrolled in your same program before classes begin.
Take careful note of your academic orientation schedule. Each program has a different schedule, depending on what campus and school of study your program is in.
Please ensure you login to the student portal and click on the red "New Student Orientation" link located in the top right of the portal home page. You will find more detailed information about various Fresh Fest and Orientation events happening at your specific campus.
Sutherland Campus (Peterborough) - Orientation Timetables and Events
Fleming welcome all new and returning students to The Fleming Knight Orientation (Fleming K.O.) on Tuesday, September 2nd at the Sutherland Campus. As a reminder to all returning students - Classes start on Wednesday, September 3, for students entering semester 2 to 6 at the Sutherland Campus.
First Semester students will receive their individual academic orientation schedules via email the week of August 25th. These schedules will also be posted on this page and on the student portal for your reference.
Frost Campus (Lindsay) - Orientation Timetables and Events
Download Your Orientation Day Schedule
Other Important Information
Frequently asked questions about orientation:
- Will all programs have academic orientation on the same date and time?
- At the Peterborough and Haliburton campuses, academic orientation will happen on Tuesday, September 2nd. Students entering programs at the Frost campus will have their schedules emailed to them directly or alternatively, Frost students can check their timetable schedule in their student portal. (see more information below)
For all new students, ensure you are following your Orientation schedule, not your academic timetable on Tuesday, September 2nd.
Each program at Fleming is a part of individual academic schools: The School of Education, Health and Wellness, The School of Justice and Business Studies, The School of General Arts and Science, The School of Trades and Technology, The School of Environmental and Natural Resource Sciences and The Haliburton School of the Arts.
Individual programs in each school have separate academic schedules, so please check your specific program name to determine the specific details about when/where your academic program orientation is being hosted.
- Is orientation about more than academics?
- Is orientation about more than academics? Yes! Many departments in the college, including Athletics, Student Life, Residence Life, Aboriginal Student Services, International Student Services,Diversity Equity and Inclusion, and your Student Councils have planned activities and events. A full list of "things to do" will be posted on this page.
- Is there hazing involved?
- No! No hazing, initiations, or Hollywood inspired frosh rituals are planned. Programming is designed to welcome and inspire you to participate in all aspects of college life at Fleming, both academically and socially.
- Where can I get a quick look at the various services and supports available at Fleming before I start school?
- Information is always available online through the Fleming College main website and you can also check out the January edition of Student Health 101.
- What are the expections of me, and what can I expect of my Faculty?
- We have put together the following document to answer this question. Please see the Student and Faculty Guidelines for Professional Practice
I attended Orientation sessions last year in September - and what a great idea it was. I gained lots of valuable insights into my program, met many of my faculty, and got a head start on what has been a really successful year. I'd recommend this for everybody - it made me feel so welcome at Fleming, and I hit the ground running academically.
-- Shannon Culkeen, 2012 Class Valedictorian
Revised: August 15, 2014