A Great Start for New Students
Attending your academic orientation day is the best way to meet your coordinators, understand your responsibilities and course expectations and connect with other new students who are enrolled in your same program before classes begin.
First semester students will be sent an email with their academic orientation schedule. Each academic school has specific times associated with it, so it is important that you review your schedule carefully. Following the welcome session and induction ceremony, most programs will have unique program sessions.
Download the Academic Orientation Schedule
Frequently asked questions about orientation:
- Will all programs have academic orientation on the same date and time?
- At the Peterborough and Haliburton campuses, academic orientation will happen on Tuesday, September 8th. Students entering programs at the Frost campus will have their schedules emailed to them directly or alternatively, Frost students can check their timetable schedule in their student portal. (see more information below)
For all new students, ensure you are following your Orientation schedule, not your academic timetable on Tuesday, September 8th.
Each program at Fleming is a part of individual academic schools: The School of Education, Health and Wellness, The School of Justice and Business Studies, The School of General Arts and Science, The School of Trades and Technology, The School of Environmental and Natural Resource Sciences and The Haliburton School of the Arts.
Individual programs in each school have separate academic schedules, so please check your specific program name to determine the specific details about when/where your academic program orientation is being hosted.
- Is orientation about more than academics?
- Is orientation about more than academics? Yes! Many departments in the college, including Athletics, Student Life, Residence Life, Aboriginal Student Services, International Student Services,Diversity Equity and Inclusion, and your Student Councils have planned activities and events. A full list of "things to do" will be posted on this page.
- Is there hazing involved?
- No! No hazing, initiations, or Hollywood inspired frosh rituals are planned. Programming is designed to welcome and inspire you to participate in all aspects of college life at Fleming, both academically and socially.
- Where can I get a quick look at the various services and supports available at Fleming before I start school?
- Information is always available online through the Fleming College main website and you can also check out the Orientation edition of Student Health 101.
- What are the expections of me, and what can I expect of my Faculty?
- We have put together the following document to answer this question. Please see the Student and Faculty Guidelines for Professional Practice
I attended Orientation sessions last year in September - and what a great idea it was. I gained lots of valuable insights into my program, met many of my faculty, and got a head start on what has been a really successful year. I'd recommend this for everybody - it made me feel so welcome at Fleming, and I hit the ground running academically.
-- Shannon Culkeen, 2012 Class Valedictorian
Revised: April 29, 2016