Orientation at Fleming - Winter 2013
Integration, transition and fun! Throughout the month of January, several events and activities have been planned to help you transition into college life at Fleming.
Academic Orientation for most programs is scheduled for Monday, January 7th. Attending your academic orientation day is the best way to meet your program coordinators, understand your responsibilities and course expectations and connect with other new students who are enrolled in your same program before classes begin.
Of course, there are many social activities for you to attend during your first few weeks on campus including:, Movie Night, Pub and Comedy Nights, a Ill Scarlett and KO concert, International Student Services Sessions, a mature student club meeting…. And more!
A complete orientation schedule is posted below and will also be e-mailed to your Fleming e-mail address in before the first week of classes. Information will also be available on the Fleming College Student Life Facebook page, so 'like' us and get updated: www.facebook.com/studentlife.fleming
See you in January!
Sutherland Campus (Peterborough) - Orientation Timetables and Events
Download Your Orientation Day Schedule
- School of Community Development & Health
- School of General Arts & Science
- School of Justice & Business Studies: Business & Hospitality Programs
- School of Justice & Business Studies: Law & Justice programs
- School of Trades & Technology
Don't know which school you belong to?Click here and search your program name.
Frost Campus (Lindsay) - Orientation Timetables and Events
Ask Me Table – CFS Orientation Timetable Pick Up - Coffee House
All new students are invited to drop by the Large Board Room - Room 252 on Monday January 7th from 9:00 – 11:00 am.
- Get your questions answered
- Pick up a copy of your Common First Semester orientation timetable
- Grab a copy of the Events schedule for the week
- Meet the Student Services Staff
- Meet faculty and technologists from CFS
Week 1 Timetables – January 7th to 11th
Arboriculture: Students enrolled in Arboriculture will follow the timetable found on the MyCampus portal. See the bottom of this page for instructions on logging into the MyCampus portal. Classes begin on January 7th for this program.
Common First Semester (CFS) Students enrolled CFS will follow a special orientation week timetable that begins on January 7th. An e-mail will be sent to your Fleming e-mail the week of December 17th. Your orientation timetable will be attached to this e-mail. Orientation week for CFS students is a combination of lectures, labs and seminars for all courses as well as orientation events, workshops, computer time and social events. Please log into the portal and read your Fleming e-mail. See the bottom of this page for instructions on logging into the MyCampus portal.
Direct Entry Students will follow their timetable found on the MyCampus portal. See the bottom of this page for instructions on logging into the MyCampus portal. Join us for the Welcome to Fleming Session on Monday January 7th in Room 250 at 11:00 am if you are free.
Sustainable Agriculture Students enrolled in Sustainable Agriculture will meet Sara Kelly and Annie Richard on Tuesday January 8th at 9:00 am in Room 294. There are NO classes scheduled on January 7th. If you are on campus January 7th please join us for the Welcome to Fleming Session in Room 250 at 11:00 am.
Heavy Equipment Techniques and Motive Power Generation Technician Students enrolled in these two programs will meet in Room 519 located in the Heavy Equipment Shop at 8:00 am.
- Download the Schedule of Orientation Events
- Get information on the Positive Space Education Program Level One: Shifting OUTlook
To view your Timetable and check your Fleming e-mail
Getting to your Fleming e-mail from myCampus
- Go to mycampus.flemingc.on.ca
- If you don't know your username then click on - "New Student? Obtain my username"
- Fill in your date of birth and student number then click on "Get Username".
This will provide you with your Fleming College username.
- Your password for the Fleming portal is your Fleming College Student number.
- Return to the Fleming Portal. There you can type your username and password and begin to explore and check your Fleming e-mail.
Timetables are located on the My Student Centre tab. To view your timetable change the date to January 7th and select, see class titles, see instructor name. CFS students will not begin this timetable until January 14th.
Questions? Please contact:
TEL: 705/324-9144 ext. 3205
Haliburton Campus Information:
Monday, January 7th at 8:00 am
Come to the Great Hall of the Haliburton Campus
297 College Dr (first right off Industrial Park Rd) Haliburton
Meet fellow students Have your student card picture taken
- Studio orientation and safety
- Material kits
- Health Plan
- Computer access
- VCAD students - get your timetable
McRae Orientation Information
Monday, January 7th, 2013
- 8:30 - 8:45 Meet & Greet (coffee will be served)
- 8:45 - 9:00 Welcome - Ann Drennan, Dean, School of Trades & Technology
- 9:00 - 9:15 Health & Safety - Paul Chevrier, Manager, College Safety & Facilities
- 9:15 - 9:30 Counselling & Learning Support Services - Nancy Verduyn, Counsellor
- 9:30 - 9:45 Health Services - Leslie Gifford, Campus Nurse
- 9:45 - 10:00 Athletics & Recreation - Jane Bolin, Recreation Coordinator
- 10:00 - 10:15 Student Administrative Council - Jessica Spooner
- At 10:15 - 11:30 we will have program break-out sessions with the program coordinators.
Program Information Sessions
- Construction Skills - Scott Fleming, Room 303
- Plumbing Techniques - Gord Knox, Room 307
- Heating, Refrigeration & Air Conditioning - Jamie Faulkner, Room 310
- Welding Techniques - Val Bolsterli, Room 312
Frequently asked questions about orientation:
- Will all programs have academic orientation on the same date and time?
- At the Peterborough, McRae and Haliburton campuses, academic orientation will happen on Monday, January 7th. Students entering programs at the Frost campus will have their schedules emailed to them directly or alternatively, Frost students can check their timetable schedule in their student portal. (see more information below)
Please ensure you are following your Orientation schedule, not your academic timetable on Monday, January 7th.
Each program at Fleming is a part of individual academic schools: The School of Education, Health and Wellness, The School of Justice and Business Studies, The School of General Arts and Science, The School of Trades and Technology, The School of Environmental and Natural Resource Sciences and The Haliburton School of the Arts.
Individual programs in each school have separate academic schedules, so please check your specific program name to determine the specific details about when/where your academic program orientation is being hosted. Program orientation information will be posted on this page during the first week of January.
- Is orientation about more than academics?
- Is orientation about more than academics? Yes! Many departments in the college, including Athletics, Student Life, Residence Life, Aboriginal Student Services, International Student Services,Diversity Equity and Inclusion, and your Student Councils have planned activities and events. A full list of 'things to do' will be posted on the events calendar on this page. Programming will also be posted online on the Student Life Facebook page
- Is there hazing involved?
- No! No hazing, initiations, or Hollywood inspired frosh rituals are planned. Programming is designed to welcome and inspire you to participate in all aspects of college life at Fleming, both academically and socially.
- Where can I get a quick look at the various services and supports available at Fleming before I start school?
- IInformation is always available online through the Fleming College main website and you can also check out the January edition of Student Health 101.
- What are the expections of me, and what can I expect of my Faculty?
- We have put together the following document to answer this question. Please see the Student and Faculty Guidelines for Professional Practice
I attended Orientation sessions last year in September – and what a great idea it was. I gained lots of valuable insights into my program, met many of my faculty, and got a head start on what has been a really successful year. I'd recommend this for everybody – it made me feel so welcome at Fleming, and I hit the ground running academically.
-- Shannon Culkeen, 2012 Class Valedictorian
Revised: December 20, 2012