Diversity Office and Committee
The Diversity Office and Committee support human rights at Fleming and are linked to a range of support services for students, faculty, staff and the surrounding community. These include:
- Disability Services & the Fleming Accessibility Plan
- Aboriginal Services & the Aboriginal Education Council
- Human Rights Officer & the Harassment and Discrimination Policy
- Women’s Safety Programs
- International Student Services
- Prior Learning Assessments and ESL
- Equity Policies
- Mediation Services
The Diversity Office also coordinates the Fleming Prayer & Meditation Room, a quiet space dedicated to the expression of faith and personal reflection.
Values In Action
Fleming College believes that diversity and inclusion are the cornerstones of global citizenship, equity and success for both students and staff. Our actions demonstrate that we are committed on an ongoing basis to removing barriers and to actively evolving a culture of respect, recognition, accommodation and celebration of each others’ unique contributions to Fleming’s learning and working environment.
- The Diversity Committee
- Since 2001, this active committee has offered students, faculty and staff a forum to raise concerns and address them through collective action, such as organizing events and awareness campaigns, offering leadership training or researching the needs of special groups. It plays an important role in creating a welcoming environment at Fleming. Everyone is invited to attend their monthly meetings.
- Diversity in the Classroom
- Fleming offers students an opportunity to explore a range of diversity and equity issues in the classroom. Students can build their skills through recognized volunteer projects, placements and internships. The Diversity Office helps students and faculty find appropriate assignments that let them “act local, think global” and build the leadership skills they need.
- Student Groups
- In partnership with student governments, the Diversity Office supports the development of student-led associations. This includes groups like FAQS (Fleming Association of Queer Students) and FACTOR (Fleming African Canadian Students).
The Diversity Calendar of Events
Every year, Fleming offers an annual calendar of events that celebrate diversity. Culture, information and fun are always on the agenda. Events address special themes or celebrate important dates, like;
- Gender equity
- Aboriginal Awareness Day
- Black History Month
- Gay Pride
- International Development Week
- Accessibility issues
- Multicultural festivals
- And more ...
The Diversity Office works with local communities that surround and support Fleming campuses (Peterborough, City of Kawartha Lakes, Cobourg and Haliburton). Partnerships help build pathways to post-secondary education, making college programs more accessible.
Revised: August 3, 2010