Certificate of Successful Completion in Heavy Equipment Operator Curriculum
Vocational Learning Outcomes
- Safely operate and perform daily maintenance on a variety of heavy equipment according to machinery capability, limitations and specifications, current industry standards, health, safety, and environmental laws, and best practices.
- Pre- and post-inspect equipment and document findings of heavy equipment to ensure safe operation.
- Use basic survey techniques to interpret grade elevation for correct grade control and proper earth moving.
- Assess a work site for possible hazards and risks and report all findings prior to the operation of machinery.
- Accurately record required information in logs, inspection checks, and other required documentation for machinery and site maintenance.
- Contribute to a healthy and productive work site by communicating effectively with others including customers to achieve organizational and work goals.
- Protect self by wearing the correct Personal Protective Equipment according to current safety standards, environmental conditions, and best practices.
Courses and Descriptions
This course of study in safe operation of backhoe and wheel loader will provide the fundamental skills and knowledge necessary to perform daily circle checks, safe maneuvering practices and job site planning strategies. Field activities such as utility locating, trenching, excavating, truck loading, and stockpiling will be performed using backhoe and wheel loader. Work-site planning and layout will be applied to the various earthmoving activities.
This 7 week course is designed to equip students with the skills needed for their work search and to develop and enhance career planning skills. Students will learn how to write competitive job search documents, interview with confidence, and will develop and use their career portfolio as a tool to identify and incorporate career goals into the job search process.
This course of study in safe operation of excavator and dozer will provide the fundamental skills and knowledge necessary to perform daily circle checks, safe maneuvering practices and job site planning strategies. Field activities such as trenching, excavating, truck loading, cutting, pushing, spreading, and sloping, will be performed using excavator and dozer. Work-site planning and layout will be applied to the various earthmoving activities.
This course in heavy equipment fundamentals requires the use of tools, equipment and material necessary to maintain and operate heavy equipment safely. It focuses on inspection and preventative maintenance procedures following the manufacturers' recommendations. Students will become familiar with heavy equipment controls through the use of simulators. After the required hours of simulator achievement, students will have an opportunity to operate the appropriate heavy equipment.
This course of study consists of acceptable work place practices involving safety and safe operating practices of heavy equipment. Safety regulations and applicable report in procedures will be identified. Personal protection equipment, hand signals, and equipment transportation methods will be emphasized.