Peterborough ON â€“ (March 11, 2020) â€“ As the novel coronavirus COVID-19 continues to affect people around the world, Fleming College is taking steps to encourage preventive behaviours and putting protective measures in place to maintain a safe and healthy college community.
While no confirmed cases have been identified at Fleming College, or within the regional communities it serves, Fleming is proactively taking many precautions to maintain the safety and health of our students and employees as our top priority.
â€śAs we all deal with the potential impact of COVID-19 and take extra precautions to protect our communities, I want to thank everyone for their diligence and proactivity to keep our community safe and healthy,â€ť said Maureen Adamson, President Fleming College. â€śWe are closely monitoring the status of COVID-19 locally, nationally and around the world and will take whatever steps are deemed necessary to prevent further spread of the virus.â€ť
The College is putting in place several new protocols involving illnesses, travel, meetings and other related matters. Fleming has taken many preventative measures to date, including:
- Increased number of hygiene stations at all college entrances and common areas on campus
- Implemented an awareness campaign to encourage our community to make hygiene and preventative behaviours a priority
- Enhanced cleaning protocols across all campus locations
- Restricted out-of-country travel for students and employees on college business
- Discouraged employees and students from holding large, close proximity meetings and encourage the use of conferencing technologies
- Established a COVID-19 Response Team that meets daily to pre-plan prevention initiatives and monitor local, national and international developments
- Appointed a COVID-19 Medical Advisor, Linda Poirier, BScN, MSH, Dean of the School of Health and Wellness
Fleming is holding an educational event on Friday, March 13 at 10 a.m. at the Sutherland Campus. Judy McCarten, a nurse and infection control professional, will be speaking on her experience in nursing and infection prevention and control. Judy worked in infection control during the 2003 Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS-CoV) outbreak. The event will be available by livestream via the collegeâ€™s website and limited seating with appropriate social distancing is available. If interested please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information on COVID-19 is available on the collegeâ€™s dedicated web page, www.flemingcollege.ca/coronavirus.
About Fleming College
Fleming College respectfully acknowledges that we are situated on Michi Saagiig Anishinaabeg lands and territory. Located in the heart of Central Ontario, Fleming College has campus locations in Peterborough, Lindsay, Cobourg and Haliburton. Named for famous Canadian inventor and engineer Sir Sandford Fleming, the college features more than 100 full-time programs in Arts and Heritage, Business, Environmental and Natural Resource Sciences, General Arts and Sciences, Health and Wellness, Justice and Community Development, Skilled Trades and Technology, and Continuing Education. Fleming College has more than 6,800 full-time and 10,000 part-time students, and 75,000 alumni.
Media, for more information please contact:
705.749.5530 x 1366