COVID-19: Residence and Off-Campus Housing

Last Updated: December 20, 2021

We update this page regularly. Please check back often and be sure to refresh your browser.

COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions

Residence Vaccine Requirement

Why is Fleming College requiring a vaccine requirement for students living in residence?

Fleming College is committed to keeping our students, staff and communities safe as we return to campus. To allow us to provide the safest possible living-learning environment for students living on-campus the Peterborough Public Health Unit and Haliburton Kawartha Pine Ridge Health Unit have recommended a vaccination requirement to make living in residence safer and more accessible to students, particularly those at higher risk. As a congregate living space this requirement will provide a safer place for our students.

How can I book an appointment to get a vaccine?

Students in Ontario, including international students, looking to book a vaccination appointment can start here.

How will the vaccine requirement impact the number of students living in residence?

With a vaccine requirement, residence occupancy was increased and thus we are able to offer the on-campus residence experience to more students. This is exciting news! Students who are placed on the residence waitlist will receive a notification if a room offer is extended.

What if students can’t get a first dose of vaccine before moving into residence? Will there be a grace period?

New students will need to be fully vaccinated prior to moving in to residence.

How will residence students show proof of vaccination before move-in?

Using the Fleming Safe app, students, employees and others planning to visit our campuses can easily access the Vaccine Passport to provide proof of vaccination. For detailed instructions on using the mobile App or to access a desktop version of the Vaccine Passport please visit our Vaccine Passport site.

Is there an accommodation process and if so, how does it work?

Those students, who for medical or other protected grounds under the Ontario Human Rights Code, cannot be vaccinated may request an accommodation.

To request accommodation, including requests for exemption on protected grounds under the Ontario Human Rights Code: Download the Request for Medical Accommodation form or the Request for Creed Accommodation form. Complete these forms, obtaining all required signatures. Then upload a scanned copy for review and approval on the MyCampus Portal.

Does the type of vaccine matter? Will a foreign vaccination certificate be accepted?

We encourage students to take the first vaccine that is available to them, as recommended and approved by Health Canada.

Living in Residence

How is residence ensuring a safe living environment for students on-campus?

Residence space has been adjusted based on recommendations from Public Health and provincial guidelines. The campus and residence buildings have numerous safety enhancements to maintain physical distancing and create a safe campus for students, staff and visitors.

Will the College increase residence occupancy as vaccines rollout?

The College is closely monitoring public health recommendations and provincial guidelines. If the Residence is able to increase occupancy levels we will call students on the waitlists to offer a space in residence. Please click here to apply now and join to residence waitlist.

How can I get on the residence waitlist?

Students will need to complete their residence application on the Fleming College Housing Portal and pay a $75.00 non-refundable application fee to be added to our waitlist. Rooms are offered based on a first-come, first-served model. Please click here to apply now.

Are Food Services going to be available? What about purchasing a meal plan?

Yes, Food Services offerings will be are currently available on-campus and students can purchase meal plans for both the Sutherland and Frost Campuses. Students can purchase a meal plan through the One Card website found here:

What if I am an international student?

The same process will apply for all students.

What happens if a student living in residence shows signs of COVID-19 and are required to self-isolate?

The residence has space set aside in case students living in residence if they required to self-isolate. These plans have been approved by Public Health. Further, there is staff designated to support students during isolation to ensure they have the full support of the residence including daily check-ins and assistance with food, personal needs, and mental health supports to ensure their success.

Residence Room Offers

What if students want to live in residence although their program is being offered online?

Students can apply to live-in residence regardless if they are learning in-person, hybrid or online.

How will room assignments be determined? Can students still request roommates?

Room assignments will be completed by Housing Services based on recommendations from public health. Students will still be able to request roommates; placements will still need to meet recommended practices.

Is a mixed gender suite option still available?

Yes, mixed gender suites are still available.

What if a student cancels their residence application, Housing Services issues a refund and then the student decides they want to apply for residence again?

Students who have previously cancelled their room offer and wish to re-apply will go to bottom of the waitlist.

Residence Services for Students after Move-in

What sort of residence life experience will be available for students?

Supports will be in-place to help students succeed and programming activities will be adjusted to work while maintaining physical distancing.

What shared/common spaces will be available for students after move-in? Will study rooms be open? Will Marketplace be open? How will laundry rooms operate?

The Sutherland Residence Marketplace is open along with food service on-campus at Sutherland and Frost.

Laundry rooms will open with a maximum of four students at one time, with signage advising students to hand wash, physically distance, and will provide sanitizers. Study rooms will be open with furniture arranged two meters apart.

Will residents be allowed to have guests?

Currently, Residents will not be allowed to have any guests or visitors. Should Public Health guidelines change this will be revisited.

Off-Campus Housing

If residence is not available are there other private residence options available off-campus?

Leases begin at $650/month

Off-Campus Housing

The Off-Campus Housing Office provides information online so that you can learn about our communities and search for listings. Our website provides tips to assist you to find housing; contact landlords; signing leases; and move-in. Please click here to read through these resources.

The Off-Campus Housing Office can be your point of contact to help you with your transition from home to living within the community. Please contact Karen Hennessey, Housing Community Coordinator, with any further questions or for further support at

What if students want to live in the campus community although their program is only offered online?

Students who make the decision to live off campus will be required to conduct a housing search. We recommend students refer to our Off-Campus Housing website for further support. There are also several resources on the website, including a “Find Housing” tab.

Can I cancel my lease due to COVID-19?

To end your tenancy early, it is important to first speak with the landlord to make this request. Sometimes the landlord will agree and a Form N11 should be signed. If the landlord does not agree, there may be other options to cancel your lease early, such as subletting or assignment. Click here for steps on how to break a lease early.

I’m not comfortable going in to view the rental unit, are there other ways to view the unit?

As regular practice, it is very important for students to view the unit and are discouraged to rent before a walk-through of the unit and the property. If you are not comfortable or there are restitutions, students are encouraged to ask the potential landlord to view the unit using technology, such as a virtual walk-through.

Where can I go to start my housing search?

When you are ready to start you housing search, the Off-Campus Housing Office website has a lot of helpful information and resources to help you with your housing search. You can find links to several sites under our Find Housing tab.

What is the difference between subletting and assigning a lease agreement?

Assigning means the new tenant takes over your rental agreement. The amount of rent and all other details of the agreement stay the same. You are not responsible if the new tenant causes damage or owes rent. But when you assign, you do not have the right to move back in later. If you want to leave your place for a while and then move back in later, you might be able to sublet to someone else while you are gone. The person who you sublet to is called your subtenant – they pay the rent to you. Choose your sublet well; you are held responsible if they cause damage or don’t pay the rent.

Can I adjust my lease agreement due to COVID-19 recommendations?

There have not been any announcements to date that speak to flexibility/adjustments to legislation as it relates to lease agreement terms.

It is important to understand if your rental agreement is on a month-to-month or weekly basis, you can end it by giving your landlord proper notice. If you have a lease for a fixed term (e.g., 8 months or 12 months), you can give notice for the end of the fixed term. For information on how to end a tenancy, please see this brochure from the LTB.

You may also request for the landlord to end your tenancy early or consider subletting or assigning your rental agreement. You can post an advertisement for your accommodation on Places4Students

How can I be prepared and plan ahead for COVID-19?

Students can be prepared by understanding the guidelines set by their local public health units. In the event there are further restrictions, please refer here for how you can plan ahead, including a grocery list should you need to self-isolate for 14 days.

Last Revised: