COVID-19: International Students

Last Updated: August 10th, 2021

We update this page regularly. Please check back often and be sure to refresh your browser.

COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions

International Admissions and Fees

Will there be a decrease in tuition if the programs are offered online?

Fleming College is focused on providing the same level of teaching and support to students online as provided face-to-face, including access to faculty and learning. We are working to ensure that all students will achieve the same learning outcomes for each program, regardless of how the program is delivered. With this in mind, we will not be reducing tuition fees.

Will the ancillary fees be reduced if I am studying in an online or hybrid program?

Attending Fleming College is more than just going to class. All students are charged ancillary fees in addition to your tuition, these fees are approved by your Student Governments and the Board of Governors. Ancillary fees provide resources and services that are important in supporting you as a student, these can be different between our campuses. Fleming continues to assess ancillary fees given our new learning environment. Our goal is to determine which fees should be recalculated while ensuring that virtual supports for online learning continue to be provided to our students. Wherever possible, we will reduce compulsory fees and pass any potential savings on to students. We encourage you to understand your ancillary fees and what they help provide to enhance your student experience.

** Please note your Tuition and Program & Course fees (if applicable) are different from your Ancillary fees.

Please select your campus to learn more about your ancillary fees:

If I registered for Fall 2021 or Winter 2022 terms without a Study Permit, but I later receive a visa denial, will I be eligible for a refund?

If your visa was denied, you will be eligible for a refund of your fees paid, minus a $200 administrative charge. For more information about the policy and how to receive your refund, please see the COVID-19 Interim International Withdrawal/Refund Policy.

What is your refund policy for full-time programs?

If you choose to withdraw from the college for any reason other than a Visa Denial within the first 10 school days of the semester, you must complete and submit a withdrawal formto, subject to the College's international refund and withdrawal policy. Withdrawals and refunds can be requested via the Ontario Colleges International Application Portal and must include the appropriate documentation including the International Student Wire Refund Request Form to receive a refund of the tuition fees you paid. Your completed withdrawal must be approved by the Office of the Registrar. Upon receipt of all the appropriate documents at the Office of the Registrar, your withdrawal application will be processed to refund your fees paid, minus a $2,300 administrative charge.

If you choose to withdraw from the college for any reason other than a Visa Denial after the first 10 school days of the semester, you must request a withdrawal, subject to the College's international refund and withdrawal policy, and refunds can be requested via the Ontario Colleges International Application Portal and must include the appropriate documentation. Upon receipt of all the appropriate documents at the Office of the Registrar, your withdrawal application will be processed. In accordance to Fleming policy, you will not be eligible for a refund of fees paid.

I am in a hybrid program this Fall 2021 and cannot be on campus in time for on-campus learning. What are my options?

If you are registered in a fall semester hybrid program and you cannot be on campus by the required date, then the college will require you to provide proof of your inability to join your program in Canada as per the on campus delivery deadline. Proof may be:

  • a visa approval notification or stamp that demonstrates too little time for you to make travel arrangements to be on campus by the required date; or
  • documentation showing that you have not received a visa decision and can therefore not make plans to travel to Canada.

You will have the option to request a deferral in OCAS or to request a withdrawal without penalty up until Monday October 11, 2021. As always, student wishing to withdraw will need to submit a withdrawal form to

Is there financial assistance for international students?

The new East Asia Entrance Scholarship of $1,250 CAD has been developed exclusively for East Asian (China, Philippines, Vietnam, Korea, Japan, Taiwan, etc.) students to be effective as of Sept. 2020. The criteria for qualifying for this scholarship are:

  1. Acceptance into a Fleming a post-secondary or post grad program;
  2. IELTS overall score of 6.5 (no individual ban below 6.0);
  3. 80% graduation GPA from their high school or college-university; and
  4. Submission of a Letter of Interest regarding why they want to study at Fleming in their chosen field of study.

Fleming College also offers a merit-based scholarship for returning international students. This scholarship is based on a student’s Semester 1 GPA. This scholarship’s value is between $500-$2,000 depending upon a student’s GPA (3.8-4.0) and length of study (two or three year programs).

A new South Asia entrance scholarship will also be introduced soon.

Immigration and Study/Work Permits

What documents is the college currently accepting for students to be registered for Fall 2021 classes?
The College is accepting an Approval in Principle (AIP), Study Permit Application Confirmation, Port of Entry Letter of Introduction, or Study Permit (received at the border when entering Canada), you may register for classes.
I am a new student and have not received my Study Permit yet, can I still study for the Fall 2021 term?
A Study Permit is not required to take online courses from abroad. You can still count the time spent pursing your studies from abroad toward your eligibility for a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) if you applied for a Study Permit before the start of your program. For more information, please see Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)'s "How your post-graduate work permit (PGWP) eligibility is affected."
I currently have AIP status. Can I travel to Canada?
No, you will not be able to travel to Canada with an AIP status. You will be required to have a full Study Permit or Port of Entry Letter of Introduction to travel to Canada.
I am not sure whether to apply through the Student Direct Stream (SDS) or through the non-Student Direct Stream. What are the differences in the requirements for my Study Permit application?

SDS Countries: India, Pakistan, Vietnam, China, Morocco, Senegal, Philippines

Student Direct Stream (SDS) Applicants Must Provide:

  • Letter of Acceptance (LOA) from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada
  • Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of CAN$10,000 or more
  • A receipt demonstrating tuition has been paid for the first year of school
  • IELTS test results with a minimum score of 6.0 in each band
  • Most recent secondary or post-secondary school transcripts

Non-SDS Applicants Must Provide:

  • LOA from a DLI in Canada
  • Documents to demonstrate you have liquid funds to pay for living expenses and tuition for at least the first year of school
  • Evidence of how you intend to pay for your remaining years of school
  • Proof of English proficiency by submitting results from an approved language test. Please note that in response to IELTS testing centre closures, Fleming College is accepting the following online tests: Duolingo, IELTS Indicator, Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) Online.
  • Most recent secondary or post-secondary school transcripts

It is also recommended that all students provide a letter of motivation explaining why they chose their specific program of study and why they chose Canada as a study destination.

Where can I find the latest COVID-19 updates from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)?

IRCC updates for visitors, foreign workers, and students can be found here.

Where can I get my Completion Letter for my Post Graduate Work Permit Application?

The program Completion letter is on page 2 of the Confirmation of Enrolment.

Here’s how to download your completion letter:

  1. Log on to myCampus
  2. Click ‘Student Centre’ on the left side menu
  3. Click ‘Confirmation of Enrolment’ on the ride side menu
  4. Enter the current term or your final semester
  5. Click “View BIP Report”
  6. Your completion letter is page 2 of this report
Can I apply for my Post Graduate Work Permit with an unofficial transcript from Fleming College?

Yes, IRCC has confirmed that a copy of your transcript is acceptable.

According to IRCC, before you can apply for a PGWP, you need: an official letter from your school that confirms you’ve completed your study program (for Fleming College students, this is your completion letter), an official transcript or a copy of your transcript from your school’s website. For your completion letter and unofficial transcript, log into myCampus and visit your Student Centre.

How do I extend my Study Permit in order to finish my program or my placement?

You will need to extend your Study Permit online. International Student Services can help you with this process. For more information about our Study Permit Extension Workshops and 1:1 immigration advising appointments, contact us at

How do I request a support letter to extend my Study Permit

To request a support letter for your Study Permit extension, please email Please make sure to include the following information



  1. Complete name as shown on your passport and study permit
  2. Student number
  3. Birth Date
  4. Program
  5. Date your study permit expires
  6. A copy of your Study Permit

Processing timelines: Most requests for a support letter will be processed within five business days, but could take up to ten business days during peak request periods. It is important that you submit your request as early as possible.

Travelling to Canada

What is Fleming College doing about the travel ban from India?

The Government of Canada has suspended flights from India until September 21, 2021.

Please rest assured that Fleming College is committed to supporting you and your educational pursuits during these difficult times.

We will continue to monitor this situation. Please send any inquiries to

Can I request a travel support letter?

Prior to travelling, students must carefully review our Arrival Services Website and complete the following mandatory forms in the iCent app.

  • Student Attestation Letter
  • Submit Emergency Contact
  • Airport Arrival Info
  • Self-Isolation Plan

Once the iCent forms have been submitted, if you would like to request a travel support letter, please complete this form.

Will Fleming College be providing support for the government mandated 3-night hotel stay that was announced on February 22, 2021?
We know that the 3-night hotel stay will add an unexpected cost to your education and we want to help. Fleming College will subsidize 50% of the cost up to a maximum of $1,000 CAD, which will be credited to your student account. More information can be found here.
I have booked a government hotel and now my flight has been cancelled. What do I do?
You will need to contact the hotel directly to inquire about a refund/to make a new booking.
If I travel to Canada to study, will I need to self-isolate before coming to campus?

Now that Fleming College is an approved Designated Learning Institution with a COVID-19 Readiness plan, students with valid study permits will be permitted to travel provided that they complete a number of requirements prior to travelling.

Please note that the government of Canada has mandated that anyone entering Canada must self-isolate for 14 days under the Quarantine Act. The first three nights must be at a government approved hotel. You must have a quarantine plan ready to share with airline and border officials in order to travel to Canada. Please be aware that there are numerous penalties for contravention of the Act, ranging from a fine of up to $1,000,000, imprisonment for up to three years, or both. For more information about the latest requirements for quarantine, as well as the mandatory documents that you are required to complete prior to travelling to Fleming College, please visit our Arrival Services Website.

Please do not make any travel plans until you have met all requirements and necessary authorizations.

I am fully vaccinated; do I need to quarantine?

As of July 5, 2021, fully vaccinated travellers may be exempt from quarantine, provided they meet the following requirements.

  • Are eligible to enter Canada
  • Are asymptomatic
  • Meet all other entry requirements, including entering all information into ArriveCAN before arrival.

Those who meet the requirements may be exempt from the hotel stopover, quarantine, and the day-8 testing requirement.

To be considered fully vaccinated, you must have received the full series of an accepted COVID-19 vaccine or a combination of accepted vaccines.

Please note: Even if you are fully vaccinated with a vaccine approved by the Canadian government, you are still required to have a suitable quarantine plan to isolate for least 14 days. A government representative at the border will make the final decision on whether you will be required to quarantine.

For more information, please see the government of Canada website.

For information about the Fleming College Arrival Services program, including the mandatory forms that you are required to submit before arriving in Canada, please see our Arrival Services website.

Where can I find the most recent information about travel restrictions for international students?

Monitor the government of Canada website for the latest information about travel restrictions.

Can I share the 3-night government hotel room with someone else?

If you share your hotel room with anyone other than an immediate family member (a sibling, a parent, or a dependent child), you will not be eligible for the hotel subsidy offered by Fleming College.

Can I share the 11 nights in quarantine with someone else?

Students cannot share the 11 days quarantine with anyone other than an immediate family member. This means that you cannot share a house with separate bedrooms or any living spaces. You must have your own hotel room, suite, or apartment which is completely separate from anyone else.

Where can I find information about COVID-19 in my first language?

Visit the Ontario Ministry of Health COVID-19 information page.

Student Services

If I travel to Fleming College, will someone help me find housing?

Our on-and off-campus housing service can assist with finding accommodation for you. You can find out more here.

What if I need help with my courses?

Tutoring and learning skills support is available to students who need help with their courses. For more information, visit the Tutoring & Academic Skills website. For help with researching finding information for your assignments, visit the Library.

I would like to find a part-time job while studying. What do I do?

Our Career Services can help you with your resume, interview skills and job listings. Find out more details here.

How do I apply for a Social Insurance number (SIN)?

You can apply for your SIN card online or by mail. Please see the Service Canada site for more information.

Health Insurance

How can I contact Morcare if I have questions about my health insurance?

Morcare is available to assist you if you have any questions about your coverage or claim submissions. You can reach the Morcare team by calling 1-888-985-1552 or by visiting their website.

Please note that you will not be covered by Morcare health insurance if you are in your home country.

How do I download my health insurance card?

You will receive an email once your health insurance is active. Follow the instructions on the email to download and print your card. If you haven’t received the email by the tenth day of the semester, it means that your account isn’t active, and you should email As an international student, you will also be able to take advantage of the early arrival clause which provides coverage to students traveling to Canada up to 30 days prior to the coverage start date. Please see Fleming College (International Students) - Morcare for details.

Can I add my family to my health plan?

You can add your dependents (children, spouse or common-law partner) to your health plan. Please note, there are strict timelines for this process. Please contact for more information.

Am I eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine?

To book a COVID vaccine visit this government of Ontario site. If you meet the individual requirements at a pharmacy, you are also able to book an appointment with no Ontario health card at participating locations here. Please continue to visit this here for the most up-to-date information about COVID vaccines in Ontario.

Academic Programs

How do I find out if my program will be online or hybrid for the fall 2021 semester?

Please see Program Information for the 2021 / 2022 Academic Year : Fleming College for information about the delivery of your program.

Who do I contact, if I want more information about my program?

To ask specific questions about your program, you can send an email with your question to askus@flemingcollege.caor use the online chat on our website. You can also contact your program coordinator. Please see your program page for your coordinator’s contact information.

How will I start the program and meet my fellow classmates?

Your program will start with an academic orientation and an orientation specifically for international students, where you will meet fellow students, learn about expectations, receive valuable information and engage in fun activities. For more information about the International Orientation, please see International Orientation : Fleming College. For more information about the academic orientation, please see the Student Experience webpage.

Will I have access to the software I need?

Students have free access to the MS Office Suite and Webex.

For specific technology requirements of your program, please visit your program webpage.

How will I be able to deal with the time difference?

Where possible, lectures will be recorded. Recently, the Academic Schools held live Information Sessions. You can view the recording of these sessions here.

My program has practical components. How will I be able to complete these if the program is online?

Our faculty and staff are hard at work to ensure that there is no loss in learning practical skills. We are planning strategies that include concentrated skills boot camps in the Winter semester and limited on-campus labs that adhere to social distancing guidelines set out by the government. These plans are subject to change based on the government’s direction.

How will I be able to access my textbooks?

You can order books online through the Fleming College Bookstoreor via your Student Centre.

If my program is not running, can I take part-time studies while waiting for my program to resume?

Yes, you can take part-time studies if your program has been suspended due to COVID-19. However, you must abide by the authorized working hours on your Study Permit. This means that you cannot work more than 20 hours per week.


Our International Team is available to answer your questions. You can connect with us by:

  • Connecting with us live during our weekly Virtual Drop-In Sessions. During these sessions you can chat with us, ask us questions and book virtual appointments with our International Student Advisors and with a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant. The schedule will be published in the weekly newsletter and is also available on our Facebook Page.

To meet our International Student Recruitment Officer, please join our daily drop-in sessions.

Monday to Friday between 8:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. EST (Toronto time)

To join Zameer, please do the following:

If you are unable to join the meeting, you can reach out to Zameer at and he will follow-up as soon as possible.


We update this page regularly. Please check back often and be sure to refresh your browser.

Last Revised: