Last Updated: March 31, 2020
We update this page regularly. Please check back often and be sure to refresh your browser.
COVID-19: Frequently Asked Questions for Employees
- How do I know if I should work from home or if I am required to work on campus?
All campus buildings are now closed to both students and employees until further notice. This action aligns with the Provincial Emergency Declaration and supports ongoing physical distancing within our communities. Access will only be granted to those essential to maintaining critical operations infrastructure.Employees who are required to work on campus will be contacted by their manager directly. Unless you have heard otherwise from your manager, you should assume that your attendance on campus is not required and you should follow up with your manager regarding working from home.
- What precautions is the College taking to ensure my health and well-being if I am required to work on campus?
All campus buildings are now closed to both students and employees until further notice, with access granted only to those essential to maintaining critical operations infrastructure. The College is taking many preventative measures to ensure the health and well-being of employees who are working on campus, including the following:
- Increased number of hygiene stations at all college entrances and common areas on campus
- Enhanced cleaning protocols across all campus locations including thorough cleaning across campuses in all classroom and public areas
- Implemented an awareness campaign to encourage our community to make hygiene and preventative behaviours a priority
- Minimized the number of students, faculty and staff on campus
- Implemented a controlled building entry model to ensure limited access to campus buildings
- I need to retrieve information (e.g. files, documents) from the College to be able to work from home. Can I do this?
Please contact your manager if you require access to a campus building. Effective end of day March 18, 2020 all campus locations will be closed and only employees identified as providing required services will be on site. SMT members will be authorized to grant access on an exceptional basis to other employees. Access will be permitted through the main doors and employees will be required to sign in.
- I have personal commitments (e.g. child care) or other circumstances which will prevent me from working. What happens in this situation?
The College recognizes that some employees cannot work due to personal circumstances and would like to clarify that in these situations, the employee may utilize vacation days (and, if necessary, draw on next year's vacation allotment). Employees who do not have paid vacation days may request an unpaid leave. If you have questions, please contact your manager who will consult as needed to resolve concerns.
- How do I ensure my home work station is set up ergonomically?
There are often simple solutions which can be used to reduce the risk of injury caused by repetitive or awkward movements. The Fleming Health & Safety website provides several resources to assist:
- Where can I obtain support if I am feeling stressed or anxious about COVID-19?
If you or a family member would like to speak to someone, the Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) can provide you with immediate and confidential help for any work, health or life concern.
To access your EFAP:
Call for confidential and immediate support with your work, health and well-being 24/7/365. (1-866-833-7690 TTY: 1-877-388-0275 or access their website Work Life Health EAP Resources (Organization search is “Fleming College”)
- What about my parking pass?
Once we are back on campus, employees paying for parking will be granted a fee “holiday” via payroll or a discount on their next parking permit for a period of time equivalent to that between March 16 and the re-opening of our campuses. Those employees on term contracts who will not be returning to work can apply for a refund. More details will follow.
- Who should I contact for more information?
Please contact your manager should you have additional questions or visit https://flemingcollege.ca/covid19 for more information.