The Tourism and Travel program offers you the chance to explore the different career opportunities that will open a career in the world of travel to you.
|Program Status:||Accepting Applications|
|Co-ordinator:||Patti Watson Email|
|Credential:||Ontario College Diploma|
|Start Dates:||September 03, 2013|
|Tuition Fees:||$1,906.50 per semester*|
|* Tuition and fees subject to change.|
You will learn about different destinations and cultures while you acquire the leadership and practical skills needed to work for tour operators, destination marketing organizations, travel agencies, or tourism and travel service providers.
- Travel to a global destination and experience the growing volunteer tourism business niche
- Learn the key elements of business with a focus on tourism and travel through courses such as Discovering Destinations, Travel Products, Tourism Marketing, Tour Operations, Adventure and Ecotourism, Tourism Trends and Airfare and Reservations Systems
- Experience the real working world with a 200 hour field placement that provides practical experience, career opportunities and connections
"I graduated with a Tourism and Travel diploma after two years of studying at Fleming College. I am currently the Latin America Coordinator at G.A.P Adventures, Canada's largest Adventure Tour Operator. Fleming College really prepared me for a career in the travel industry. The college and the faculty provided a great learning environment and gave me the direction I needed to start my career. At the end of the program, students were required to complete a volunteer placement in a tourism-related operation. I chose G.A.P Adventures, and after a few weeks of placement, I was offered a full-time position. Every day my job offers an exciting, fast paced and challenging work environment.”
Matt Kinch, Program Graduate
Latin America Coordinator - G.A.P. Adventures
Why Choose Fleming
Our program is the only program in the Ontario college system that grants work placement hours to travel to a foreign country and gain volunteer experience. Upon completion of the Tourism and Travel program, you have the option of returning to Fleming College for one additional year in the Hospitality Administration - Hotel and Resort, Business Administration, Marketing or International Trade program. This will give you two diplomas in three years - which is a great addition to your resume. We have solid contacts with the travel/tourism industry, as well as dynamic and supportive faculty.
This program will prepare you for a career in today's ever-changing world. The EDGE focus within the School of Justice and Business Studies is founded on 4 principles:
- Environmental Responsibility: Learn how to contribute to a sustainable future. Ensure your career leaves a green footprint.
- Diversity: Work with a variety of people from faculty, administration, students and members of the community. Learn how to be creative and innovative.
- Global Perspective: Learn to compete on a level playing field in the global market.
- Experience: Gain real experience in your field through case studies, simulations, placements and applied projects.
Develop your EDGE at the School of Justice and Business Studies.
With your degree (in a non-business discipline) you can fast track this program:
- Start in September
- Study for 2 consecutive semesters
- Graduate in just 8 months
- Ready to start your new career in Tourism and Travel
You have the opportunity to travel on a field trip and volunteer on projects with local people, experience and understand why people travel to resort destinations. You are also required to solicit and complete a minimum of 200 hours of field placement, to practice the theories and skills studied in class. It is recommended that students complete 100 hours between semester two and three and the remainder before graduating. This gives you the opportunity to network and meet potential employers.
Is this You?
- Strong customer service orientation
- Excellent interpersonal skills, problem solving ability
- Flexibility - especially in regard to working hours
- Organizational ability
- Experience in any sector of tourism of a service-oriented business is an asset.
Industry careers include:
- Tour escort
- Travel counsellor
- Tourism marketing manager
- Meetings/special events co-ordinator
- Tour operator/reservationist
- Hotel front desk associate
- Cruise line/resort activities director
- Visitor information counsellor
You'll find work with tour wholesalers, airlines, travel agencies, destination marketing organizations, cruise lines, hotels, and government tourism organizations. Employers include GTS - Lufthansa Airlines, The Holiday Network, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, Fairmount Hotels, Ontario Waterway Cruises, and Sunquest Vacations among others.
Minimum Admission Requirements
OSSD with the majority of credits at the College (C) and Open (O) level, including:
- 2 College (C) English courses (Grade 11 or Grade 12)
- 1 College (C) Math course (Grade 11)
When (C) is the minimum course level for admission, (U) or (U/C) courses are also accepted.
Recommended (but not required for admission):
- Grade 12 College (C) Math
If you are 19 years of age or older before classes start, and you do not possess an OSSD, you can write the Canadian Adult Achievement Test to assess your eligibility for admission. Additional testing or academic upgrading may be necessary to meet specific course requirements for this program.
*Note: students starting in January are required to attend classes over the summer semester.
- In just 2 additional semesters you can complete a second diploma at Fleming in either Business Administration, Marketing, or International Trade and graduate with 2 diplomas in 3 years. You are then eligible to continue your studies at several universities to earn an honours degree with only 2 more years of study.
You'll spend approximately $1,000 per year for books and supplies. In semester three, if you register for the Study Abroad Field Experience (SAFE) course there will be an additional cost of approximately $2000.
- Athabasca University
- Ryerson University
- University of New Brunswick
- University of Ontario Institute of Technology
For more information see the Pathways to University page.
Every attempt is made to ensure the accuracy of the information on our website and in our publications. The College reserves the right to modify or cancel any course, program, fee, timetable, or campus location at any time.