Our unique-in-Canada Sporting Goods Business program features a fully-paid co-operative education experience lasting 16 weeks.
With our Sporting Goods Business Co-op, you will be able to spend an extended period in a field experience in the sporting industry - and be paid for that experience. The co-op period takes place between year one and two of the program, and will enhance and expand your learning.
The two-year Sporting Goods Business program is on the cutting edge of sporting goods industry trends, and as such, you will be prepared for the demands of this field. The program offers:
- Core business classes, including business math, accounting, computers, retail marketing management, sales and marketing.
- Affiliations with the Canadian Sporting Goods Association and National Snow Industries Association, and strong connections to major sporting goods companies in Canada, to ensure our courses are up-to-date
- Sporting goods industry specific classes with an introduction to the industry, sports marketing, equipment product knowledge and sportswear merchandising
Why Choose Fleming
Our industry connections mean that we can help students apply for and secure related employment upon graduation with sporting goods companies, in retail management and on the supplier side of the industry. We have a consistently high placement rate of 97-100 percent.
This program will prepare you for a career in today's ever-changing world. The EDGE focus within the School of Justice and Business Studies is founded on 4 principles:
- Environmental Responsibility: Learn how to contribute to a sustainable future. Ensure your career leaves a green footprint.
- Diversity: Work with a variety of people from faculty, administration, students and members of the community. Learn how to be creative and innovative.
- Global Perspective: Learn to compete on a level playing field in the global market.
- Experience: Gain real experience in your field through case studies, simulations, placements and applied projects.
Develop your EDGE at the School of Justice and Business Studies.
Students participate in a co-op placement following first year. Please note: In addition to paying tuition and fees, students will pay a co-op fee (approximately $506.00) for administrative costs associated with the co-op placement. Students also participate in field placements (70 hours each) in semesters 4 and 5.
Is this You?
This is a career for business-minded people, who happen to also have an interest in sports and/or an outdoor lifestyle. It's helpful if you are an extrovert with:
- Excellent communication skills
- Enthusiasm, a can-do attitude
- An interest in working with people
- Positive customer service orientation
- Retail experience-especially in a sporting goods store
Some graduates will begin their career as retail management trainees, while others will work on the supplier side in sales, customer service/inside sales, marketing or in product management for various sporting goods companies. Past graduates have worked for:
- Athletic Knit
- Trimark Sportswear
- National Sports
- Norco Performance Bikes
- Saucony Canada
- Rawlings Group Inc
- Taylor Made Golf
- Warrior Hockey
- Sport Chek
- New Era Caps
Source for Sports
Minimum Admission Requirements
OSSD with the majority of credits at the College (C) and Open (O) level, including:
- 2 College (C) English courses (Grade 11 or Grade 12)
- 1 College (C) Math course (Grade 11)
When (C) is the minimum course level for admission, (U) or (U/C) courses are also accepted.
Recommended (but not required for admission):
- Grade 12 College (C) Math
If you are 19 years of age or older before classes start, and you do not possess an OSSD, you can write the Canadian Adult Achievement Test to assess your eligibility for admission. Additional testing or academic upgrading may be necessary to meet specific course requirements for this program.
* Students starting in January are required to attend classes over the summer semester.
Once you complete the Sporting Goods Business program, you might consider the following opportunities:
Dual Diploma Options
- General Business
- Business Administration
Post Graduate Certificate
- Event Management
Approximately $600 per year for books and supplies.
For more information see the Pathways to University page.
Every attempt is made to ensure the accuracy of the information on our website and in our publications. The College reserves the right to modify or cancel any course, program, fee, timetable, or campus location at any time.