Fleming’s two–year diploma program focuses on the management of hotel and restaurant and foundation and professional skills required to begin a rewarding career in the hospitality sector.
|Program Status:||Accepting Applications|
|Co-ordinator:||Jennifer Rishor Email|
|Credential:||Ontario College Diploma|
|Start Dates:||September 02, 2014|
|Tuition Fees:||$1,906.50 per semester*|
|* Tuition and fees subject to change.|
The program provides you with:
- leadership and practical skills needed to work in, manage and operate the rooms and food service divisions of hotels, resorts, and restaurants
- training and experience in the three main sectors of the industry: hotel and resort operations, restaurant operations and the tourism sector
- access to leading national employers such as Marriott, Fairmont and Holiday Inn as well as local partners
- case studies, field trips, computer simulations, and work placements that complement in-class studies
- a comprehensive variety of courses relevant to the industry
- an optimum blend of hands-on experience, theory and field trips
Why Choose Fleming
The Fleming College Hotel and Restaurant Management program is highly regarded by employers in the hospitality field. They appreciate that graduates have had a thorough and comprehensive education, preparing them to work effectively as part of a team and as a leader.
Work placements often lead to full-time employment and our faculty are well -connected to the leaders in the industry who are making hiring decisions.
Students have the opportunity to design their own learning when it comes to obtaining additional industry-specific certifications and practical workplace certifications. Employers favour applicants who have already completed this training. Certifications can be completed during the program or as extra-curricular learning and include:
- WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System)
- OTEC Service Excellence (Ontario Tourism Education Training)
- TrainCan's FST (Food Safety Training)
- TrainCan's Advanced FST (Food Safety Training)
- St. John's Basic First Aid
- TrainCan's Allergy Awareness
- Smart Serve Certification
During your studies, you'll also complete a mandatory field placement of 200 hours which you will arrange with the assistance of your program coordinator. This experience in a business or industry will provide you with the opportunity to put your education into action and to experience first-hand what it’s like to work in the various hospitality and tourism career areas.
The tourism and hospitality sector has been regaining ground with a stronger dollar and focus on local hospitality and tourism experiences as well as international travel experiences. Tourism is projected to directly support 120 million jobs by 2021,according to the World Travel and Tourism Council with more large employers rotating hospitality workers in various sectors within the industry, it’s a good time for graduates to get started in their careers.
Additionally, with our relevant and comprehensive training, graduates have a lot of choice when it comes to career paths. This could include employment with national hotel chains or with local resorts, clubs, restaurants or banquet facilities. The airline and cruise ship industries also regularly hire our grads.
Our grads enter the workforce and advance to supervisory and management positions in a variety of functions including:
- Front Office
- Sales and Marketing
- Banquets and Catering
Minimum Admission Requirements
OSSD with the majority of credits at the College (C) and Open (O) level, including:
- 2 College (C) English courses (Grade 11 or Grade 12)
- 1 College (C) Math course (Grade 11)
When (C) is the minimum course level for admission, (U) or (U/C) courses are also accepted.
Recommended (but not required for admission):
- Grade 12 College (C) Math
If you are 19 years of age or older before classes start, and you do not possess an OSSD, you can write the Canadian Adult Achievement Test to assess your eligibility for admission. Additional testing or academic upgrading may be necessary to meet specific course requirements for this program.
- Athabasca University
- Griffith University, Queensland, Australia
- Ryerson University
- University of New Brunswick
- University of Ontario Institute of Technology
For more information see the Pathways to University page.
Every attempt is made to ensure the accuracy of the information on our website and in our publications. The College reserves the right to modify or cancel any course, program, fee, timetable, or campus location at any time.