Are you a university Science or Environmental Studies grad? With the Environmental Technician Advanced Standing program you can get practical field skills and applied experience in just 8 months (2 semesters).
|Program Status:||Accepting Applications|
|Coordinator:||Mark Williamson Email|
|Credential:||Ontario College Diploma|
|Start Dates:||September 06, 2016|
|Tuition and Ancillary Fees (Domestic):||$2,047.53 per semester*|
|Tuition and Ancillary Fees (International):||Tuition not available at this time|
|* Tuition and fees subject to change.|
Throughout this program, you will engage in a wide range of hands-on environmental training activities to complement your in-class courses. As a result, you'll be well-prepared to monitor and improve the natural environment.
- Our Environmental Technician program has achieved accreditation by the Canadian Environmental Accreditation Commission (CEAC), a standing committee of Environmental Careers Organization (ECO) Canada.
- Students are eligible for a number of environmental certifications through ECO Canada, including Environmental Professional (EP) and Environmental Professional-in-Training (EPt).
- Graduates of the Environmental Technician program who successfully pass the Certification Examination in the Water Treatment and Pollution Control course will have met the requirements of the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Control (MOECC) Entry-Level Course for Drinking Water Operators (which must be obtained in order to be employed as a Drinking Water Operator). The course is delivered by Fleming College in partnership with the Ministry of the Environment and the Walkerton Clean Water Centre.
Students also acquire four MOECC Operator-in-Training Certificates (“OIT’s”) in Water Treatment, Water Distribution, Wastewater Treatment and Wastewater Collection required for employment in the drinking water and wastewater treatment disciplines
- The Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT) conditionally recognizes program graduates as meeting academic requirements for certification as C. Tech. (Certified Technician).
Graduates of the Environmental Technician program who continue on to the Environmental Technology program may also have the opportunity to assist researchers in the college’s Centre for Alternative Wastewater Treatment (CAWT). The focus of this nationally-accredited facility is the development of wastewater treatment technologies for use in northern climates.
Textbooks are not enough when it comes to preparing capable technicians for the field. You'll have plenty of hands-on experience through the use of our specialized facilities, including environmental laboratories, outdoor groundwater monitoring network, as well as access to a unique geologic and physiographic college setting. You will practice teamwork during field school and projects, and participate in a multitude of field trips to both outdoor settings and industrial/municipal facilities.
Our graduates have found themselves in a wide range of environmental careers, including:
- watershed technician
- environmental technician
- environmental officers
- special environment "Sector Compliance" team
- groundwater technician
- industrial and municipal water/wastewater plant operators
- soil/terrain specialist
- water quality technician
The employment level is consistently very high with recent graduates finding work across Canada and around the world in the public and private sectors. Employers include government ministries/departments, regulatory agencies, environmental consultants, non-governmental or non-profit organizations, and urban/rural planners.
Minimum Admission Requirements
For program entry, you will require:
- A Bachelor of Science degree, preferably with emphasis in Environmental Science/Environmental Studies or Biology, from an accredited Canadian university.
Plan on spending about $525 for books, supplies and field school.
Every attempt is made to ensure the accuracy of the information on our website and in our publications. The College reserves the right to modify or cancel any course, program, fee, timetable, or campus location at any time.