Emergency Management Planners plan for and respond to natural and human caused emergencies. Acquire the skills, practical hands-on training to work in Emergency Management, Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity.
|Program Status:||Accepting Applications|
|Coordinator:||James Cowan Email|
|Credential:||Ontario College Graduate Certificate|
|Start Dates:||September 06, 2016|
|Tuition and Ancillary Fees (Domestic):||$2,514.37 per semester*|
|Tuition and Ancillary Fees (International):||$7,589.35 per semester*|
|* Tuition and fees subject to change.|
In the unique, two-semester Emergency Management program, you will learn how to create a plan to prepare for and respond to natural and human caused emergencies and disasters. Emergency planners and business continuity coordinators are trained to prepare for events such as flooding, railroad or highway accidents involving hazardous chemicals, or problems with the water source that endanger health, such as Walkerton. International terrorism is also a consideration.
You will know how to provide training and exercise plans based on emergency scenarios, and learn about risk management, liability, and the relevant standards, legislation, regulations, guidelines, and procedures. A vital component of an emergency management/business continuity program is to prepare entities for possible disruption of business, with plans that include the goals of a smooth and quick recovery of affected business services. You will acquire the fundamentals to prepare for business continuity and disaster recovery and to build a business continuity management program.
With our network of contacts and experience, you can be sure that your training will be relevant, your faculty will be highly qualified and possess specialized expertise, and you will acquire the hands-on skills, certifications you need to advance your career or stand out in today’s competitive job market.
Program Design, Training and Facilities that set our Program Apart:
- Our courses are based on the Canadian Safety Association Z1600, the Canadian Standard for Emergency Management and Business Continuity.
- Unique emphasis on the Business Continuity aspect of training to prepare you for employment in this specific sector of the industry. Employers are seeking graduates who have emergency management and business continuity knowledge/certification.
- Practicum component of 90 in-class hours where you will apply the knowledge acquired in class in real-world settings.
- Work with clients from municipalities, private sector industries and non-government agencies designing, executing and presenting training exercises.
- Client meetings and training exercises take place in actual emergency operations centre locations.
- Faculty members are experts in the field, bringing leading strategies and concepts to the classroom, and helping students to be successful in the job interview process.
Acquire Industry Certifications
- Upon successful completion of the program you will receive certificates from Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management (OFMEM); Basic Emergency Management, Incident Management System 100, 200 and 250, Emergency Exercise Design 125 and 225, plus others.
- We prepare you to complete two industry certifications: the optional Associate Business Continuity Professional (ABCP) challenge exam, administered by Disaster Recovery Institute Canada, optional participation in the Associate Emergency Manager (AEM) process as outlined by International Association of Emergency Managers, Canadian Chapter.
Legislation that makes emergency management mandatory has been implemented in many provinces and municipalities across Canada. Program graduates are employed with municipal, provincial and national government agencies and in the private sector, as companies and organizations require business continuity planning and management. Our grads compete for jobs with very reasonable starting salaries.
“It was great to be a part of the Emergency Management class at Fleming and I truly learned a lot from the program. I have also learned from my experiences at various emergency management volunteer opportunities that the Fleming program does provide a lot more certifications and client based experience than other EM programs. I have been able to secure a dream job with Husky Energy as a business continuity planner. Part of my role will be assessing their 72 different business continuity plans and putting new initiatives into place.”
Julie St. Louis
Business Continuity Planner
Is this You?
Successful graduates of our Emergency Management program come from a variety of backgrounds, including:
- Police Foundations, Security and Risk Management, Business, Health, and Environmental Sciences college programs
- University graduates from Liberal Arts, Business and Environmental Sciences programs.
If you are changing careers, employment experience in one of the following fields will also be useful:
- police officer, firefighter, ambulance personnel, first responders or volunteers
- occupational health and safety professionals
- security and risk management specialists
- members of the Canadian Forces
- engineers, teachers, nurses
- business and project management specialists
“The Fleming College Emergency Management program created a solid foundation for me to begin my new career. The hands-on approach and structured learning allowed me to gain knowledge and experience in many different components of this multi-faceted field. Opportunities ranged from developing exercises, to testing municipalities' emergency plans, to partnering with the Ministry of Natural Resources to create a Business Continuity Plan for an operational unit. The knowledge and passion that the faculty have for their varying fields is inspiring.”
Katie McQuestion, Ministry of Natural Resources
Corporate Emergency Management and Security Unit
Corporate Management Division
Minimum Admission Requirements
- Ontario College Diploma or an undergraduate university degree
- Professionals who are currently Emergency Managers and professionals with equivalent and related work experience in the field of emergency management will also be considered for admission on an individual basis.
Every attempt is made to ensure the accuracy of the information on our website and in our publications. The College reserves the right to modify or cancel any course, program, fee, timetable, or campus location at any time.